Thread: 3 core vs 4 core radiator ID?

Default 3 core vs 4 core radiator ID?

Hello. Does anyone have a definitive way of identifying a 3 core Series III radiator versus a 4 core radiator? Due to an oil cooler, I can't see through the radiator as mounted. The LR came with a 2.25D although now it's running a 2.5D. It probably came with a 4 core but it could easily be a 3 core... I just can't tell outwardly which is which. I assume the tanks may be the give away...? Thanks for any info.

Very easy to tell, the 4 core is much fatter at the top and throughout the entire unit. The smaller radiator is thin, and sometimes made of plastic in some parts from aftermarket makers. The bottom hose configuration might be different also, If I remember properly,,, hope this helps,

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Very easy to tell, the 4 core is much fatter at the top and throughout the entire unit. The smaller radiator is thin, and sometimes made of plastic in some parts from aftermarket makers. The bottom hose configuration might be different also, If I remember properly,,, hope this helps,

Since I don't have two units to compare, I can't tell what "fatter" and "thin" means. Measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by Statueman17 View Post
    Since I don't have two units to compare, I can't tell what "fatter" and "thin" means. Measurements?
    Sure, the top width of a 4 core radiator should be a bit over 4 Inches,

I bit the bullet and moved some stuff to see into the opening and allowed the antifreeze to drain some. Counting the cores there are 2 cores. There's a lot of real estate on either side of the 2 cores but... it's solid with no openings.

Now I'm concerned that a 4 core will be too thick for my fan clearance. I'm running a 2.5TD with the turbo removed due to clearance issues and a Series III radiator. It originally came with a 2.25D (Santana). A Defender radiator won't clear the lower steering arm.