Thread: Replacing fuel filter

Default Replacing fuel filter

I'm replacing the fuel filter on my 1970 IIA and have a few questions:

1) what size does it take? I've got a generic 5/16th one that I'd like to use
    2) what direction does it go in? The generic one has an arrow on it - is that the direction of the fuel flow?
    3) I was surprised to see that my truck has 2 fuel filters, one on each side of the electric pump. Is that normal? I was going to replace the hoses too and just install one pump near the carb so I could see if there's fuel in it, and to make it easier to reach next time.
    4) Any suggestions on where to buy that metal braided fuel line? I've had a vapor lock problem. My local auto parts stores don't sell it.

Thanks
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

You should absolutely install a fuel filter between the tank and the pump - to keep gunk from the tank out of the pump. Critically important, IMHO. I wouldn't think that you would need a second one between the pump and the carb as the fuel has already been filtered.
    The arrow on the filter is the direction of fuel flow. The generic filter should be fine. I use a Napa one.

I also have a 1970 IIA and have had an electric pump (Carter 4070) for 5 years or so and am extremely happy with it.

Cheers,

Ted

I don't disagree with Ted. His logic is irrefutable. Having said that, I've had my Rover for coming up on 25 years and have always had an inline filter after the fuel pump and before the carburetor. Never once have I had a problem with the fuel pump, but I still see very fine sandy-looking stuff in my carburetor bowl when I take the top cover off the carb.

I use a NAPA too, and Ted called it on the flow direction being printed right on the thing. Good luck, OP.

Myron

Well, I've done some more tinkering and I can answer a few of my own questions:

1) A Solex carb has a 1/4" intake, but the 5/16" hose seems to fit OK if you tighten the hose clamp well enough
    2) I think the previous owner was using the filters as adaptors because the Purolator fuel pump I have is 5/16"
    4) There are lots of places online that sell stainless, braided steel fuel hose. Amazon has one seller but someone complained that it rusted quickly. I bought mine at denniskirk.com.

One other tip: disconnect the hose from your fuel tank before you disconnect the filter--especially if it's located down low around tank level, otherwise the hose will act like a syphon. If you don't want to follow this advice, you might want to invest in some good safety goggles and an eye bath (Amazon has both - don't ask me how I know).
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I don't disagree with Ted. His logic is irrefutable. Having said that, I've had my Rover for coming up on 25 years and have always had an inline filter after the fuel pump and before the carburetor. Never once have I had a problem with the fuel pump, but I still see very fine sandy-looking stuff in my carburetor bowl when I take the top cover off the carb.

I use a NAPA too, and Ted called it on the flow direction being printed right on the thing. Good luck, OP.

Myron
    Hi Myron:

Do you have the mechanical pump or an electric one? Electric pumps tend to be much more sensitive to dirt / debris in the fuel, hence the need for the filter before the pump.

Ted

I have a tiny filter on the pick up in the tank to stop large particles from reaching he fuel pump. The fuel pump itself has a glass bowl to further filter out particles and finally a regular filter before the carb.

My series 3 (about the last new one sold in the usa) has a filter, looks like a spin on oil filter but with a 1/4'' bolt holding it to the fixture (from the top) which is mounted to the fire wall up nearly touching the hood...... has anyone else seen that oem set up? i'm still using the original filter as I can not get a replacement for the AC D60 element.

Does it look like this one ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16914-90577508-fuel-filter-assy-2-6-and-range-rover-and-101-forward-control.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	13414

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    My series 3 (about the last new one sold in the usa) has a filter, looks like a spin on oil filter but with a 1/4'' bolt holding it to the fixture (from the top) which is mounted to the fire wall up nearly touching the hood...... has anyone else seen that oem set up? i'm still using the original filter as I can not get a replacement for the AC D60 element.
    You must have what I have... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Filter.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	13434

I get the filter element from our host. I think this is it https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/js...r_element_fuel

So I've been running a standard 5/16 clear Napa filter just before the Carb for years without an issue. Also running a Carter electric fuel pump. I can see the advantage of having the filter before the pump, but I'm running the stock rear tank along with the military tank under the passenger seat. Still using all the original flare hard plastic fuel lines with the correct auxiliary fuel tank valve. I modified the hard line going to the pump. The only soft rubber hose I'm using is from the pump to the carb. Electric pump is a new addition so I still need to make up a steel hard line from the pump to the carb to minimize the use of a rubber hose.
    1964 Series IIA 109