Thread: Heated wind screen experience

Default Heated wind screen experience

I am about to install glass in my 73 Series 3. I have the original glass but wonder if there is a reason to get new glass? I live in the northeast so frost is an issue. Aside from cost does anyone have experience with heated wind screens?

I just replaced my drivers side on my Series 2A (windscreen provided by hosts). I have yet to use my Series windscreens as I am still restoring the vehicle. My newer Land Rovers have it and though I don't prefer the lack of clarity from the wire mesh in the windscreen- I like it when they assist in defrosting.

This video shows a Series III windscreen test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYP2NyUT1zY
    1967 Series 2A 109 NADA w/2.6l

I had a pair in both my previous Series 2A and S3 here in the UK and they were excellent. Just looked at the youtube clip & would say they clear a bit quicker with the engine running giving a higher generator voltage and thus increased wattage . The standard S2A heater is very poor especially in snow and this is where the heated screen comes into it own. The imbedded wires can be a distraction especially driving in heavy fog and mist . One has to be aware and not end up with ones eyes focused on the wires rather than down the road, although no more than modern vehicles with the similar setup.
    Last edited by roverp480; 08-18-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. This was helpful. I have never actually run my S3 Rover as it was bought as a project. I have heard the S2 has a lousy defroster / demister but is the stock capable at the task if you are willing to wait for the heat to come up?