Thread: Speedometer speed difference from 1536 to 1376

Default Speedometer speed difference from 1536 to 1376

I need to replace my 1968 88 IIa speedometer to get the odometer fixed. I have a 1376 series 3 speedometer that at want to use. I am running on 31x10.5x15 tires. I was reading about the different speedometers and from my understanding the 1376 is for larger diameter tires. The 1536 is pretty close to the actural speed. Can someone tell me the speed difference between the two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	13409 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	13410

Does someone have an extra 1536 odometer plastic gear they want to sell?
    I am also looking for US source that sells the rubber gasket for the speedometer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rdejesus; 08-21-2020 at 11:08 PM.

It’s may help: http://www.land-rover.org/tag/1408-speedo/

You can get the baskets from pangolin4x4

I also have a 68! What is your chassis number? Me: 24434013D. Would be interesting to see if you’re later or earlier in the final run of Series Rovers with the inner headlamps.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

As the cable ( and engine) runs slower, for any given vehicle speed as the tire diameter increases , the bigger the tire diameter, the lower the number on the speedometer

I did a quick check with a drill on the 1376 speedo. I is running 5mph faster than the 1536.

. The two numbers indicate the two revs per mile and are circa 11% different , so that's what it should reflect in the drill. As a matter of interest what was the indicated speed and does the 5mph difference represent about 11% ?