Thread: Torrel Disc Brake Conversion Question

Default Torrel Disc Brake Conversion Question

Hello all,
    After a bit of research I decided to pull the trigger on the Torrel Disc Brake conversion kit for my 1970 Series IIa frame off restoration. I was very happy with the quality of the parts (although no longer shipped with calipers due to shipping costs, which isn't really an issue as most auto parts stores have the right ones) and the ease of install (instructions are great).

However, after completing the install I found that the rotors are slightly offset towards the outside causing the outer rotor edge to slightly rub on the outer brake pad. It appears to be about 1-2mm offset from dead center of the caliper. I've tried torquing the crap out of the hub nut thinking that the hub or bearing races might not have been fully settled, but it didnt really change anything.

Any thoughts or ideas? I've tried reaching out to Jeremy as well who is equally stumped. Appreciate any advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201007_115526.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	13469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201007_121320.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	13470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201007_115517.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	13471  

Seems like a caliper issue to me. Piston side of caliper needs to be moved towards rotor.

Tuning in, because after a brake issue today, I've spent all afternoon researching this exact kit. Is this happening on all 4 corners, or just one?

Is it possible that the calipers you got at the auto parts store are not really the right ones?

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    Is it possible that the calipers you got at the auto parts store are not really the right ones?
    This is what I am going to check today. Jeremy had mentioned a very specific caliper/part# through NAPA, however, I was told by NAPA that this specific part was NLA, so was given a different caliper that fits a 2001 Chevy Lumina (per install guide, this is the vehicle to use to source replacement parts).

Quote Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
    Tuning in, because after a brake issue today, I've spent all afternoon researching this exact kit. Is this happening on all 4 corners, or just one?
    It does seem to happen on all 4 corners. The kit itself is very well made, and the install was easy enough. I am going to try different brand calipers this week and see if this fixes the issue. If not, the only other options I can see are to either insert a shim between the caliper bracket and caliper mount (to bring the caliper a bit more towards the outside), or to file down the outer brake pad about 1mm (which does not seem ideal, but would work). Will report back once I try the new calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    This is what I am going to check today. Jeremy had mentioned a very specific caliper/part# through NAPA, however, I was told by NAPA that this specific part was NLA, so was given a different caliper that fits a 2001 Chevy Lumina (per install guide, this is the vehicle to use to source replacement parts).

It does seem to happen on all 4 corners. The kit itself is very well made, and the install was easy enough. I am going to try different brand calipers this week and see if this fixes the issue. If not, the only other options I can see are to either insert a shim between the caliper bracket and caliper mount (to bring the caliper a bit more towards the outside), or to file down the outer brake pad about 1mm (which does not seem ideal, but would work). Will report back once I try the new calipers.
    Let us know for sure. I'm definitely going to jump into this kit, so I'd love to know what part number worked and which one didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
    Let us know for sure. I'm definitely going to jump into this kit, so I'd love to know what part number worked and which one didn't.
    I actually tested 3 different brake calipers, all of which had an identical fit. Again the brake calipers are no longer mailed with the kit (due to weight), however, they recommend you purchase the following from NAPA: SE 4826A (Front right brake caliper with hardware) and SE 4827A (Front left brake caliper with hardware). I was initially told that these parts were NLA, however, they are available online through NAPA to ship to your house.

Additionally, I tried reseating the inner bearing race/bearing and refitting the hub assemblies which improved things slightly. The rotor now appears to be more centered on the brake caliper, however, the outer brake pad still rubs in one small area. I guess I'm not too worried about this, as I have read elsewhere that this will wear itself in and self-correct over the course of a few miles.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need any other info or help with the kit.

Jumping in on this as well. Does anyone know how to adapt this kit to keep the 15" wheels? I just paid $1000 for new tires, etc., so would like to be able to keep them. If not, I'll be waiting to do this upgrade! :-D

False alarm...I have 16" Rims, so I'm good! Haha.