Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil temp gauge

Default oil temp gauge

My vehicle has an oil temp gauge as one of the stock gauges in the speedo cluster. Is this standard or something different? I pulled the sending unit out and it's a pressure unit not temperature. I grounded the wire to the sender and turned the ignition on and the gauge didnt move so I guess the gauge or wiring is faulty and someone put the wrong sender in to try get it to work Anyone know if a temperature sender is available?

Oil Temp in the two gauge cluster? Can we see a picture of that?

So I was wrong in a few things. My oil temp gauge is mechanical with a sending unit in the line to my oil cooler. The line on the back of the gauge is broken so thats why its not working. The sending unit in the filter housing is indeed a pressure unit and operates the idiot light no gauge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200216_132121ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	13475

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    So I was wrong in a few things. My oil temp gauge is mechanical with a sending unit in the line to my oil cooler. The line on the back of the gauge is broken so thats why its not working. The sending unit in the filter housing is indeed a pressure unit and operates the idiot light no gauge.

Name:	20200216_132121ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	13475
    That is an ex-MOD dash, with the oil temp gauge where the charge light is on civilian trucks and the charge light moved to the middle of the dash. Your truck is either ex military or has had dash parts put in from an ex military Rover.

The person I bought it from said it was ex Dutch military.

This is a British Half ton layout with the switches and gauges similar to yours .Remember this is RHD and extra switches etc swapped over for LHD. I am not sure yours is a Dutch one as their switches etc are normally labelled in that language not English.

Name:	20201019_130617.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	13476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201019_130621.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	13477
    If you contact The British Motor Museum at Gaydon with your Chassis number they can for £6.00 email the destination of your vehicle from the factory , Alternatively you can get a build certificate , which cost more . https://certificates.britishmotormus.../web-research/

Unfortunately my chassis numbers last 2 or 3 digits at the right front frame are unreadable.

Does any of your paperwork include the whole number or does it only show an "abridged" version?

The Military cooling array in front is signature to an Ex-MOD.

So a person could have added an oil cooler to a non MOD I guess. But unlikely. I ordered a spin on oil filter adapter kit from a vendor only to find it wouldnt fit because of an extra 2 inches on the oil filter housing where the oil cooler line hooks up. I see another kit in the UK has the filter pointing straight down not towards the frame but the cost is to much.

Name:	20200312_144531pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	13480
    Attached Images Attached Images