Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Seal and Glazing Kits

Default Window Seal and Glazing Kits

I've tried my best to use the search function but haven't turned up anything other than door seals. I am getting ready to do new paint. While I'm at it, I want all new seals and glazing around the glass for my 1964 2a with a pickup cab. The seals are fine here in dry Chile, but when I take this thing back to rainy and humid climates in the US next year, I'll have some issues.

What am I missing in the search for seals and glazing? I can't seem to find clearly listed fitments for anything other than doors. Does anyone have a comprehensive listing of parts and a source?

Do you mean seals for the curved glazing like this ? https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/irs...-type-profile/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IRS_0634_WS__15655-1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	13498

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    Do you mean seals for the curved glazing like this ? https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/irs...-type-profile/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IRS_0634_WS__15655-1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	13498
    Honestly, I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for or not? I'm a vintage motorcycle guy, so I'm not used to dealing with glass. I'm working through a bit of a language barrier with my paint and restoration guy. He told me I should order all new seals, as it would be much cheaper for me to source them than him. (I can import certain things duty free.) I had seen seals for corner windows on eBay, and kind of figured I'd find similar kits for all the other glass. Should I be ordering what you posted for all windows or just corners?

I don't know squat about glass, so feel free to educate the n00b.

Honestly when I did the to square pieces of glass on my windshield 20 years ago, I used this window glazing stuff that was like long spaghetti's strings of putty. Just roll it out and make a thin bead, then place on glass, and seal. But I am aware that the rounded pieces of glass have a special shape of rubber, seems like some of the suppliers should have that available. just my 2p

Quote Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for or not? I'm a vintage motorcycle guy, so I'm not used to dealing with glass. I'm working through a bit of a language barrier with my paint and restoration guy. He told me I should order all new seals, as it would be much cheaper for me to source them than him. (I can import certain things duty free.) I had seen seals for corner windows on eBay, and kind of figured I'd find similar kits for all the other glass. Should I be ordering what you posted for all windows or just corners?

I don't know squat about glass, so feel free to educate the n00b.
    When you restoration guy said " new seals" did he also mean the runners (channel) for the sliding glass in the door and rear glass in the hardtop . The runner channel can be purchased online by the foot and cut to length. The windscreen glass is, as reported, sealed by glazing putty and a thin rubber strip behind the ali. retaining strips inside ( Careful when refitting as its easy to crack laminated glass when tightening the screws ) . The same sort of putty is used to seal the fixed door glass . The rear sliding glass in the truck cab is all in runners . The curved pieces of glass in the corners is held by a two piece moulded rubber section, one similar to that I posted, while another fits in the Vee shaped groove to hold all together. You may consider getting a LR parts book which usually shows an exploded view
    of the assembly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201105_133833.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	13507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201105_134218.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	13506

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    When you restoration guy said " new seals" did he also mean the runners (channel) for the sliding glass in the door and rear glass in the hardtop . The runner channel can be purchased online by the foot and cut to length. The windscreen glass is, as reported, sealed by glazing putty and a thin rubber strip behind the ali. retaining strips inside ( Careful when refitting as its easy to crack laminated glass when tightening the screws ) . The same sort of putty is used to seal the fixed door glass . The rear sliding glass in the truck cab is all in runners . The curved pieces of glass in the corners is held by a two piece moulded rubber section, one similar to that I posted, while another fits in the Vee shaped groove to hold all together. You may consider getting a LR parts book which usually shows an exploded view
    of the assembly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201105_133833.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	13507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201105_134218.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	13506
    That makes a bit more sense. Thanks for the explanation and the parts snapshot. I'm not sure if my guy was talking about runners or not. I speak Texican at best, and he speaks Chilean Spanish. We play a lot of charades when it comes to talking fine details. I'm just going to get all the parts moving now that I know what I'm looking for and have him replace it all.

BTW, for the sliding rear windows There are channels available from Rocky Mountain online, kit number RMG9517K, works very well. Most Rovers that are 30 plus years old have decayed channels and need repair. Just my 2P.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    BTW, for the sliding rear windows There are channels available from Rocky Mountain online, kit number RMG9517K, works very well. Most Rovers that are 30 plus years old have decayed channels and need repair. Just my 2P.
    I'm desperately trying to like Rocky Mountain, but I've been waiting on Jeremy to ship a product he claimed was in stock for over 3 weeks now. My hope was to do suspension while I had all the body panels off, but I've lost hope of him shipping anything. (For clarification, he hasn't run my card, so nothing shady going on. Just poor service.)

Ugh!! that's discouraging to hear. This New Covid world is screw-up,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Ugh!! that's discouraging to hear. This New Covid world is screw-up,,,,
    Yep. My restoration guy basically said now or wait six months. He stays pretty busy. I had held out waiting for Jeremy to ship parts as long as I could. I still want parabolic springs, but it sounds like I'll be tackling all that long after paint and upholstery are done.