Thread: Color Feedback

Default Color Feedback

Hello. I wanted to post some feedback on my engine and wheel color choices for my 1969 2A restoration project.

For the engine I used Detroit Diesel Green DupliColor Engine Paint with Ceramic. I applied 2 light coats of the DupliColor Engine Primer with Ceramic and then 2 light coats and one medium coat of the the green. I waited 15 minutes between coats. Part of my process was to put a large cardboard box over the engine and stand and run a space heater for about 6 hours to help cure the paint.

For the wheels I used RustOleum 2X Gloss paint in Navajo White. I think it is a good match for limestone. Plus what a great name for a paint color choice for a Series truck. Still not perfect but close. I had the wheels sandblasted and then I primed them with RustOleum Rust Reformer in a spray can. Just to diminish the chance for rust to develop from the seams. The primer was left to cure for several weeks. I then did 2 light coats of the RustOleum 2X Gloss White and then 2 light coats and one medium coat for the Navajo White. I waited 15 minutes between coats and I did the same cardboard box heater cure step. One picture of the wheel is in sunlight and the other in shade.

A note on the RustOleum 2X paint. I am not sure but I think one of my cans of Navajo White might have been defective. It left a rough texture on the wheel. I can only guess that maybe the primer portion of the paint was not the right proportion? My advice is to always spray a test sample. Wish I had done that : ).

Hope this might help someone else with these choices.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	13891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	13892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	13893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	13894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	13895

Great tip on the Detroit Diesel Green! I was tempted to try Pontiac Engine Blue, but your choice is much better.

Hi Ray. I had actually considered the Pontiac Blue myself. I am by no means trying to build a concourse truck but I had seen other people go with the Detroit Diesel Green and I am glad I did. Pangolin4X4 actually sells a aerosol for possibly a more correct color but it is pricey. Let me know if you want maybe some additional higher resolution pictures. The ones that are downloaded to this forum are quite a bit compressed. Tom

nice, i like the green and limestone. I still kick myself for trying to paint my new (maybe 5 yr. old) 88 in a seattle car wash with about 10 cans of avacado!

Thanks Tom. No need for more photos - I am convinced this is the right color for me. Really happy you posted!

Mahopac automotive paint also has correct paint codes for Land Rover. But, like Pangolin4x4, they are more expensive than Duplicolor. Still, not that bad. The aerosols can get pricey, because you never get all the paint out before the propellant is gone. Mahopac sells quart and gallon mixtures, too. So, if you get a HVLP paint gun off Amazon, and a Home Depot pancake air compressor...you can paint a lot of stuff a little cheaper.

About the surface finish and DupliColor:
    I like their stuff, especially their engine and brake caliper paint. But it doesn't all go together! I tried to spray a DupliColor clearcoat gloss on a finished piece, and the solvents in it ate away at the finished piece. I was so mad! After 2 coats of primer and 3 coats finish...this stupid Clearcoat ruined it. I had to sand it back and nearly start over!!

The timing is super critical. Wait too long and the solvents will dissolve the layer below it.

I've just resigned to keeping a bunch of aerosol cans of that Mahopac paint in my colors around. Any time I ding something or remove a part, I'll just touch it up. I haven't found a good paint that will stand up on wheels. Pretty much any time I remove my lug nuts I'm removing paint. Was going to look into powder coating, but that's not cheap either.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

Tom, I tried the GM Alpine (Detroit Diesel) Green. As perfect as it looks on your engine, it just didn't look as good on mine - maybe the contrast with the Pastel Green body was too much. I went back to the first plan and painted the engine Pontiac Blue. Although it is not as blue as I had hoped, I think it turned out alright. Finishing up the reassembly this weekend.

Name:	87546A33-4382-4A65-B13D-B18161CA2313.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	13914

Name:	D5614B6B-DC2E-4EB2-82CF-CA02031B4476.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	13913
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I went with the blue and have been happy with my choice... until now. The green looks great.

Don

Name:	EngineIn.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	13915