Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get truck into 2 wheel drive high range

Default Can't get truck into 2 wheel drive high range

I was away for a few days and asked a friend to take the Landy to move it for alternate side parking. We live in Brooklyn. Got the Landy back and was driving it home tonight and noticed it was in 4 wheel drive. I stopped and moved the Hi - Lo lever back and forth to get it our of 4 wheel drive. That seemed to work OK , the yellow lever popped up. However, back in high range I can't engage any gears. I tried several times and the only way I could continue home was to go back into 4 wheel drive high range.
    Has something broke or am I doing things wrong?
    Dave

The only time I had something like that happen was when I snapped a rear axle. Putting it in 4WD let me drive home in front wheel drive.

I'll check but I don't think anything is broken on the rear. Its just that when I pop it out of 4 wheel drive and move the transfer lever forward it fails to proceed. No unusual noises and the engine revs but not engaging high gear range. It seems like the lever moves forward enough but I seem to be in a neutral position.

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    The only time I had something like that happen was when I snapped a rear axle. Putting it in 4WD let me drive home in front wheel drive.

I am helping a friend with a Series 2a that exhibited the same problem as we were preparing to remove the gearbox for a release bearing repair. He never noticed as he kept the hubs unlocked most of the time. We haven't fixed it yet but did tear down the front of the transfer case and it seemed the 4WD fork wasn't coming forward enough to release the dog/gear. We will be tackling it again soon to finish up and share when we get more info.

The main gearbox is obviously working as it will drive in 4x4, and indeed the main drive to the output shafts must also be OK .Check to see if the drive to the rear axle is turning when in 2 wheel drive . If it is and the vehicle is not moving and no obvious noises it would indicate a broken half shaft to a rear wheel. They can break without making any obvious noises , had one go once driving downhill!

it's POSSIBLE but not likely that your shift rails in the front output housing are jammed. From rust?? Probably not but still possible. Also, a small rock [or stick??]could have become lodged "up there" in the shifting linkages somewhere and won't let the necessary movement take place. I recommend at least crawling underneath and having a GOOD look. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to get it up in the air this weekend and will check the drive to the rear axle. If the axle is broken is there a trick to getting the broken piece out of the outer tube?
    Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    The main gearbox is obviously working as it will drive in 4x4, and indeed the main drive to the output shafts must also be OK .Check to see if the drive to the rear axle is turning when in 2 wheel drive . If it is and the vehicle is not moving and no obvious noises it would indicate a broken half shaft to a rear wheel. They can break without making any obvious noises , had one go once driving downhill!

Weather permitting I hope to have it up in the air this weekend. I did have issues with some of the emergency brake links being rusty so maybe it will be a simple fix. I spent time yesterday trying to get it into two wheel drive high range but no luck so far.

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post

I just went through something similar with my ‘66 IIA. In my case, I heard a slight “pop” sound from the rear when I tried to move forward. Then I had no movement, as if my gearshift was in neutral. Pushing down on the yellow-top lever produced forward and rearward movement, but using the red-top lever to pop the yellow one up again stopped any movement.

Sure enough, when I unbolted the rear hub flange on my left side, I pulled out an obviously broken axle shaft. My IIA also did not make any noises when the car was underway in front-wheel drive.

When the axle shaft breaks, it’s almost always on paved surfaces where the friction/resistance is at its highest. Let us know what you find. Replacement of the axle shaft is not technically challenging, but retrieving the broken piece cana be a PIA. Message me or call Rovers North if you have problems retrieving it.
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Just a word of warning, if it is the axle shaft broken, in 2 wheel drive you will have no park brake .