Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get truck into 2 wheel drive high range

I've broken a few half shafts. I've heard somewhere that due to lube dispersement underway portions of the halfshaft can heat making a weak spot and they'll snap. mine all broke right at the entry to the differential. this always happened when driving for long periods on the highway where vehicle doesn't lean around moving the lube oil. I haven't had a broken axle for over 25 years which i attribute to driving here in the mountains, seldom long on flat and level?

Two weeks ago we pulled out the right axle and it was OK. Today we pulled the left and it was OK but with the car up in the air we can see the driveshaft turning, the left rear wheel was slightly turning but with no power and the right rear wheel was not turning at all. We are going to pull the right half shaft (axle ) again but I am suspecting a broken gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    I've broken a few half shafts. I've heard somewhere that due to lube dispersement underway portions of the halfshaft can heat making a weak spot and they'll snap. mine all broke right at the entry to the differential. this always happened when driving for long periods on the highway where vehicle doesn't lean around moving the lube oil. I haven't had a broken axle for over 25 years which i attribute to driving here in the mountains, seldom long on flat and level?

I had the cross shaft break on a Discovery 1 , holding the diff bevel gears. The gears just fell out into the bottom of the axle case and I lost all the drive, possibly you have a similar problem.

Well we got the second half shaft axle out this afternoon and to my surprise ( because we had inspected it a few weeks ago) it was broken. So we decided to pull the pumpkin out of its case and the large ring gear was chipped on one tooth. I discovered our host sells a used pumpkin which I ordered as well as the replacement axle. Hopefully all will be well by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    I had the cross shaft break on a Discovery 1 , holding the diff bevel gears. The gears just fell out into the bottom of the axle case and I lost all the drive, possibly you have a similar problem.