Thread: Generator Problems?

Default Generator Problems?

Battery is not faulty but obviously not being charged during operation. Charge light is constantly on. Any easy solutions or obvious things to check for? Is it possible that the generator needs to be replaced.

'70 Series IIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Battery is not faulty but obviously not being charged during operation. Charge light is constantly on. Any easy solutions or obvious things to check for? Is it possible that the generator needs to be replaced.

'70 Series IIA
    A quick generator check (if you have a volt meter) would be:
    At the voltage regulator, connect the large wires from the "F" and "D" terminals together and measure between that and ground....with small revs of the engine, you should get around 20 volts.
    Peace,
    Art

try exciting the field coils, unplug the center wire plug on regulator marked F use a jumper wire from battery positive and just touch it to the wire enough to see a light spark, plug wire back in and start engine rev engine slightly and the light should go out.

Default go delco

every time I try to get the generator system working during a restoration I spend more $$$ than a declo alternator conversion.

just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by rovertek
    try exciting the field coils, unplug the center wire plug on regulator marked F use a jumper wire from battery positive and just touch it to the wire enough to see a light spark, plug wire back in and start engine rev engine slightly and the light should go out.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

I enjoy a good restoration as much as the next guy, but I draw my own line at running a generator. I just don't enjoy hand cranking that much (especially at night). I still run a Lucas alternator so it's ok. I'm legal. It's British.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

i agree with jp even though the delco alternator is great,(for a chevy) i still prefer the lucas alt. for the rover.....

I've never had an issue with the generator, but I have held-off adding electrical accessories. I think the generator's peak output is ~22amps, which will cover all the standard Series systems. The only time I have hand-cranked was with battery issues. Trust me, after a month or two you get pretty good at it! The generator also allows for successful hand-cranking with a flat battery. The alternator needs a little reserve battery juice for successful hand-cranking.

All that said, I will probably convert to a Delco this Fall...

Regards,

Tom P.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Default Suggestion for generator problem

If your battery doesn't show that it's charging using a voltmeter,then you're right, it may be time for a new generator or battery. If it does show that it's taking a charge, then look at the wire that goes to the temp. sensor at the front of the engine. Mine had frayed and was shorting out the gauge and making the charge light glow all the time, regardless of the engine rpm. I replaced the connector and the charge light went out.

Hope it helps, and I agree, if you have to replace the generator, that's a good time to switch to an alternator ( 'course, I haven' t done that yet myself- that thing with the bottom bolt and all....)