Thread: capstan winch

Default capstan winch

eventually i'll probably want a capstan winch on my s2a as it has a fairey overdrive on it.
    how often does anyone see one available? ...... or a work around on the overdrive? not the overdrive that sticks down under the xfer case though as ground clearance is a issue? I even thought i heard of a pto out the top somewhere that ran fire pumps?
    i also heard one could "stack" fairey overdrives one behind the other but i've not seen anyway to apply that!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    eventually i'll probably want a capstan winch on my s2a as it has a fairey overdrive on it.
    how often does anyone see one available? ...... or a work around on the overdrive? not the overdrive that sticks down under the xfer case though as ground clearance is a issue? I even thought i heard of a pto out the top somewhere that ran fire pumps?
    i also heard one could "stack" fairey overdrives one behind the other but i've not seen anyway to apply that!
    Normally the LR capstan winch is driven off the front of the crank so does not compromise the fitting of an overdrive . I did fit a bottom power take off ,onto the transfer case of my S3 together with the overdrive. The mechanical one does not protrude any lower than the bottom of the existing TF case , but the hydraulic version ( the one I had to drive a front hydraulic drum winch) did, as the pipe connections and pump do stick down below the actual PTO . I put a skid plate to protect it, although I never did any extreme rock climbing and such , so never had a problem .

Stacking the od's was a myth. [although there was once an od that could b fitted in the middle of the propshaft, so that could have been considered stacking i suppose. A client of mine actually had b the a fairey and a hone but i never heard from him how that worked. Well now that i remember it i think he claimed some incredible mpg's [and he was an honest man so i would believe that; i just don't recall what his fuel economy dialed in at] fairey originally had plans 4 that but they never followed through on those "hopes" really, at least not on a commercail basis that i ever heard of. I'm working on a hydraulic winch but have run into shallow water on the project and haven't bene able to get back to working out the wrinkles. It's available in 8, 10 & 12,000 pound versions, all of which is theoretical 'cuz of those 'wrinkles' aargh

Quote Originally Posted by charles1943 View Post
    Stacking the od's was a myth. [although there was once an od that could b fitted in the middle of the propshaft, so that could have been considered stacking i suppose. A client of mine actually had b the a fairey and a hone but i never heard from him how that worked. Well now that i remember it i think he claimed some incredible mpg's [and he was an honest man so i would believe that; i just don't recall what his fuel economy dialed in at] fairey originally had plans 4 that but they never followed through on those "hopes" really, at least not on a commercail basis that i ever heard of. I'm working on a hydraulic winch but have run into shallow water on the project and haven't bene able to get back to working out the wrinkles. It's available in 8, 10 & 12,000 pound versions, all of which is theoretical 'cuz of those 'wrinkles' aargh
    Fairy certainly claimed they were working on a PTO to fit on the rear of the overdrive when it was initially launched 50 odd years ago but nothing ever came of that . .

thx, it's one of those things that if ever becomes available needs to be 'captured' on the spot.
    I have the Koenig on my S3, bought brand new from Roland Motors in Seattle 1975. Which ever rig I use for the highway, (prob the S2a) needs the capstan.