Thread: Weber 32/34 air intake

Default Weber 32/34 air intake

I have replaced the 2.25 diesel engine with a 2.5 petrol in my 1983 Series 3. The 2.5 has a Weber 32/34 DMTL carb. The 2.5 engine came from a 1986 Defender. The plastic air intake bolted to the carb now almost touches the windshield washer reservoir - a hose would normally be connected to the end of the intake and run to an oil bath filter on the left side ( facing forward). The oil bath filter on my S3 is on the right side ( facing forward). I have been unable to locate an air intake for this carb that would allow me to use the S3 oil bath filter. I have located a couple on the internet but they will not fit this carb(despite claims that it would fit any weber carb) - the bolts/studs on my carb are arranged in an asymmetric pattern - the bolt holes on the air intakes I have located are symmetrically arranged. Short of having a custom intake fabricated does anyone know how I can use the S3 oil bath filter.....is there an adapter that I have yet to find? Any info or advice is appreciated.
    Jim

I believe Mil-spec restorations makes an adapter to for stock elbows to weber carbs

this prob won't help but i think i removed a adapter when i took the rottenchester off and put the weber on. you might look at our hosts to see if they show a adapter as part of a rotchester carb as maybe it doesn't show on other search methods?

I believe you'll find the [early, sii/siii] oil bath air filter very restrictive....and that the later engines used a very large paper element in its own special factory canister

Thank you for the suggestion. I sent a note to Mil-spec Restorations inquiring about their adapters but they have not responded. And given that this is problem without an easy solution I will start looking for a bolt on airfilter and forget about the oil bath. Evidently Land Rover had their own Weber 32/34 DMTL carb and the air intake bolt pattern is different from other (standard) Weber DMTL carbs. The "standard" version has a rectangular arrangement for the bolts/studs - the Land Rover version is not the same. I may ultimately be forced to buy a new "standard" model or and another type of carb just so I can get an air filter attached.
    If anyone reading this knows of a bolt on airfilter that will fit the Land rover DMTL please let me. Attached is a photo that shows the bolt/stud locations securing the air intake on the LR DMTL carb. Thanks

Name:  IMG_0663.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  111.4 KB