Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tires.. what are my options?

Default tires.. what are my options?

My dad and i are doing a frame off restoration on my 1960 series II 109 station wagon we have rebuilt the drive terrain and powder coated everything we could. We also added parabolic springs and pro comp shocks. Now we are at the point were i need to decide what kind of tires to put on it. I think i want an all terrain tire that will be nice on the highway and still be capable off road. any ideas?

These are the tires a few people recommended: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO (235/85R-16) dose anyone have experience with these tires on their rovers?

Thanks
    -Mat

Cooper Discoverer ST smooth on pavement and amazing capable off road. Where are you located? I might be moving up to larger ones after fitting my new engine, have 5 235/85-16s now.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNY
    Cooper Discoverer ST smooth on pavement and amazing capable off road. Where are you located? I might be moving up to larger ones after fitting my new engine, have 5 235/85-16s now.
    I'm located in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by onecross
    My dad and i are doing a frame off restoration on my 1960 series II 109 station wagon we have rebuilt the drive terrain and powder coated everything we could. We also added parabolic springs and pro comp shocks. Now we are at the point were i need to decide what kind of tires to put on it. I think i want an all terrain tire that will be nice on the highway and still be capable off road. any ideas?

These are the tires a few people recommended: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO (235/85R-16) dose anyone have experience with these tires on their rovers?

Thanks
    -Mat
    Matt-

The BFG 235/85/16 is exactly what I have on my 88. They are the old style, not the KOs. I like them alot. Great onroad, quiet. Really good in the dirt and rocks. Deep sand they need to be way aired down. One of my frequent areas to play is a huge sand dune with dirt/rock hillclimbs all around it. Their weak spot is mud. I'd say they're fair to poor in bad mud. The tread loads up. I get very light rubbing on the front springs at full lock. I run an original 88 suspension that has @ 5000 miles on it. Compared to the Pro Comp muds and radial Swampers I've run on my other 4X they aren't even in the same league for mud. For what I use my Rover for the BFGs work very well for me.

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

I have run BFG ATs for many years and currently have 33X9.50s on my 88. I have had them go well over 50,000 miles with 6,000 miles between rotations. They do load up in mud but I've never wished that I have had another tire.

Quote Originally Posted by onecross

Thanks
    -Mat
    Got the 235/85-16 KO's and love them.
    Looking for a spare to put on my spare.
    I would also like to get another rim so I can carry 2 spares.

KevinNY, is right I have the cooper ST tires and they not only look good but handle great on the roadway.

Default cooper disc st

Kevin
    I just put a pair of them on my 88 tonight on new Wolf wheels. Had Buckshot mudders, and loved them. Great performance,mileage but no longer available. I did a lot of searching for tires, hope it paid off. The Buckshots were great, but I now do more road miles (daily driver). BF's have gotten way to pricey, with bad mileage, and just another suv tire to me. I wanted something milder than the buckshots, and better in the snow. When the ST's arrived I discovered that I still had an agressive mud tire that was siped, but still a somewhat road tire. Have we found that true multi-purpose tire for a rover? Could you please tell me what to look for with these tires. Did I spend my money well?
    Thanks
    Mark
    PS Cant wait for it to snow!
    Last edited by Mark Filtranti; 08-12-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    Mark in Maine
    1971 SER III (Half Cab)
    1990 R/R County
    2001 P-38

Default Trxus interco tires

http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php

running 255/85-16's on our ambulance, 235/85-16 on our beater RR. Great in snow, mud...not bad on the highway either, and cheap, realatively so at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Filtranti
    Keven
    I just put a pair of them on my 88 tonight on new Wolf wheels. Had Buckshot mudders, and loved them. Great performance,mileage but no longer available. I did a lot of searching for tires, hope it paid off. The Buckshots were great, but I now do more road miles (daily driver). BF's have gotten way to pricey, with bad mileage, and just another suv tire to me. I wanted something milder than the buckshots, and better in the snow. When the ST's arrived I discovered that I still had an agressive mud tire that was siped, but still a somewhat road tire. Have we found that true multi-purpose tire for a rover? Could you please tell me what to look for with these tires. Did I spend my money well?
    Thanks
    Mark
    PS Cant wait for it to snow!

I have driven through everything with these and am always impressed that I am still moving. My other set of wheels are Interco LTB swampers on Beadlock rims for comparison! These tires are very popular with our series friends north of the border as well.