Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tires.. what are my options?

After three weeks of tire testing and driver training for Michelin and BFG I would recommend the new Michlien AT2 (the next generation of AT). The performance is amazing and routinely bests the BFG Mud Terrain. Virtually all of the participants like the AT2.

^^ Interesting. The A/T2 certainly doesn't LOOK like an aggressive tire:
    http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/ltx-at2/

Or perhaps they set up the bag of goods and you bought it. 14/32" of all season road tread? That is clearly a road tire that would be useless in mud.
    Last edited by KevinNY; 08-12-2007 at 07:34 PM.

When was the last time you tested six different types of tires on six identical Land Rovers for weeks at a time? When you do please comment. Often times the most agressive looking tire is not the best off-roading choice.

B.F. Goodrich's Commercial Traction LT's are a really decent tire and not a poor choice.
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...action/48.html

http://www.titanatv.com/lt_truck/bfg_commercial.htm

I've also had good luck with Goodyear's Workhorse Extra Grip:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...eter=&sidewall

Where you live Goodrich's All Terrains might be OK- I'm not really fond of them because I've had very bad luck with them in greasy mud. It has gotten to the point that we install chains with them whenever we go offroad.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

> ...Michlien AT2 (the next generation of AT). The performance is
    > amazing and routinely bests the BFG Mud Terrain.

VTRover - could you classify *performance* in your statement above?

Thanks,

Tom P.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Quote Originally Posted by VTRover
    When was the last time you tested six different types of tires on six identical Land Rovers for weeks at a time? When you do please comment. Often times the most agressive looking tire is not the best off-roading choice.
    I wheel pretty much every weekend and have run 4 different tires on my series coiler and 3 on my D2 everywhere from 3 feet of sugar snow in Maine to dry rock at 13,000 feet in Colorado and most every terrain in between. You went on a sponsored company junket with 2 tire makers marketing to you.

Default Tire tread

I do not think there are any magic bullets when it comes to mud tires. They need lots of open void space otherwise the tread fills with mud and you end up with a well lubricated slick. An AG tractor tire is probably the extreme, but they work. An AT tire, no matter what brand will fill up with sticky greasy mud and become no better than any street tire. And that comes from years of real life experimention too!

Let's steer this discussion back on course. The original question was:

My dad and i are doing a frame off restoration on my 1960 series II 109 station wagon we have rebuilt the drive terrain and powder coated everything we could. We also added parabolic springs and pro comp shocks. Now we are at the point were i need to decide what kind of tires to put on it. I think i want an all terrain tire that will be nice on the highway and still be capable off road. any ideas?

These are the tires a few people recommended: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO (235/85R-16) dose anyone have experience with these tires on their rovers?

Thanks
    -Mat
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Where O where do you see anyting about a request for a MUD only tire? My suggestion was based on his original question. Kevin please refrain from making ignorant bitchy comments about "a bag of goods" and as you know I teach off road driving and have been working with Michelin to help their clients evaulate a variety of tires. I'm an instructor not the customer - got that? After trying a zillion tires I like the AT2 for a variety of reasons. I think too many people get caught up in the look of the tire rather than how it actually performs. By the way I like that Cooper ST tire also and may order a set for my Series.

I am running 31" BFG A/T KO's on my Toy and have ran them on one of my cherokees. Great tire for the street and good on the trail as long as you dont plan on doing any serious mud.

Im running BFG Trac Edge's on my series right now. Great tire, too bad they dont make them any more. Those Cooper's look similar, they might be my next set.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)