Thread: How to wire 4 way flashers to 1963 IIA positive ground?

Default How to wire 4 way flashers to 1963 IIA positive ground?

Would like to wire 4 way flashers to 1963 IIA 12v positive ground. Have been told to wire directly to battery as may need flashers when ignition is off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert

There are several ways to do it. Rocky Mountain used to sell a nice kit, but they weren't available when I was looking for one. So I used a spare flasher unit and a spare headlight switch to make mine work. But you need a higher current flasher unit than the standard Lucas one. I burned a new one out with just a few flashes. Those standard flashers are really only good for one side at a time. Anyway here's the method:

I used a standard headlight switch and a separate flasher unit (old Wagner unit). I have two hot leads running to pos4 and pos8 from the flasher unit. Right turn wire hooks to pos1 and Left turn hooks to pos7. First click = fast right blinker. Second click = full hazard flash.

If you wire the hot lead to the flasher from a constant on source (brown wire), they will work with the truck off.

https://www.gunsandrovers.com/fileda...0&d=1635025214
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Thanks. Anyone know of a kit? Rovers North told me their 4 way flasher kit only works for 1969 and on because of the wiring.

Here you go:
    https://embertonimperial.com/en-us/p...2d82293c&_ss=r

I have one of these. I bought it before I figured out the above method. It has the flasher unit built into it, so it's a little bulky. I'd sell you mine if I can find it. Let me know and I'll look if you want. Would be quicker (and cheaper) than shipping from England.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

The Emberton one contains the basic parts that LR used on the S3 4 way flashers . It means, if you have the space you can discard the plastic housing and mount the parts individually with the switch in a suitable panel . Also its independent of battery polarity

The problem with a hazard warning switch is the need to have the two turn signal circuits disconnected when the switch is ‘off’ but connected when ‘on’. This can be simply done using a DPST Double Pole Single Throw ON-OFF toggle switch. I’ve yet to find a Lucas paddle handle toggle switch with this configuration, but one likely exists somewhere. The normal silver handle toggle switches in the DPST configuration are easily found, if you don’t mind a different looking switch. A typical DPST switch has four terminals or spades, with two inputs and two outputs. Call these #1 and #2 on the input, and #3 and #4 on the outputs. When the switch is ‘ON’ the #1 input is connected to the #3 output, and the #2 input is connected to the #4 output , but #1 and #2 or #3 and #4 do not connect. For this hazard flasher circuit, you will need to connect #1 and #2 together.

As already discussed, power should be from the Brown wire always hot circuit so the flashers work when the ignition is ‘off’. You can install a fuse if wanted. If you want a dash hazard warning lamp a three prong or spade heavy duty flasher will be needed. The incoming power will be connected to the input spade on the heavy duty three prong flasher. Typically the center spade on the flasher is for the warning lamp, and the wire to the lamp is connected to this spade. The lamp will need to be grounded, and I try to use a two wire bulb socket rather than grounding at the socket itself. The third spade on the flasher is the output and will need to be connected to the input side of the DPST switch. If you don’t want or care about a dash warning lamp, then a heavy duty two prong flasher can be used and ignore the warning lamp bits.

On the DPST switch, run a jumper from the one input terminal to the second input terminal to tie the inputs together. One output terminal on the switch will need to be connected to the left side turn signal Green with red trace wire. The other output terminal will need to be connected to the right side turn signal Green with white trace wire.
    Power will always be routed to the hazard flasher but with the DPST switch ‘off’ no power is routed out to the turn signal lamps, which are isolated from right and left in the switch. When the DPST switch is ‘ON’ power is routed thru the flasher to both switch inputs and to each output, so all four turn signals light up. When the flasher contacts open, the turn signals go out….. repeat. If you use the dash warning lamp type of flasher, it only lights when the turn signals do. Sorry for the way the drawing loaded.

Bob

Name:  Simple Hazard Circuit.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  25.7 KB

Thanks. I will look at the space available. What would your selling and shipping price be?

Man, I've looked all over for it and haven't found it yet. I'll let you know if I do.
    Sorry.