Thread: Clutch Noise Diagnosis - 1972 Series III

Default Clutch Noise Diagnosis - 1972 Series III

1972 Series III - 88 - Gas Engine - ~80,000 miles

Can anyone help me diagnose the noise that I am hearing? It is a loud squealing noise that only happens when the vehicle is in gear and the clutch is let out. It almost sounds like a slipping belt. I never get the noise in neutral or when the clutch pedal is pushed down. I get the noise in all 4 forward gears. It shifts just fine. The noise is louder when accelerating. There is no change to driving performance. This is the second occasion that it has happened, and I bet the noise will be gone tomorrow morning. Here is a link to the noise.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ujZEjmvdRLQ?feature=share

I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinder in April and it has worked great since then.

I am guessing the clutch may be slipping, but would love an expert opinion.

Noisy release bearing?

I generally check for a slipping clutch by momentarily depressing then releasing the clutch pedal in top gear while accelerating. You can quickly tell if the clutch grabs again and the engine stops racing, or if the RPMs stay up as the clutch slips instead of engaging.

Could b your pilot bushing is running dry [it should have just a tad of lubricant to keep it happy] but dry they will make a variable 'screeching' noise////mostly annoying; rarely gives real trouble

Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, the sound went away on the next day, but I am sure it will be back. I guess I will be replacing the bushing and the bearing this fall when I have more time. Would it be advisable to replace the pressure plate and driven plate while I am in there? It has 88,000 miles and have never been opened. It looks like a simple operation. Can a novice mechanic do it in 2 days time?

press plate should be ok but yea, if you're going in there to do a throw out bearing do a plate too. I think mine has 200K miles on it but i always use first gear and don't slip it much till full engagement. loosen the drain on the bell housing, see what comes out?