Thread: Two Questions - S3 Oil Temp Gauge and Unidentified Part

Default Two Questions - S3 Oil Temp Gauge and Unidentified Part

Hi all,

This forum is a treasure, so thanks to all those who contribute! My vehicle is a 1975 S3 109" two door.

First question - my gauge (see pic) has an Oil Temp red light warning, and I have not seen this on any other vehicle. Usually that bottom red light is labeled for "Charge". I traced the wire off the back of the light to the alternator, so I'm confident it's not going to an oil temp sensor. I know the green light monitors Oil Pressure through the sensor on the filter housing, but where would the sensor be for Oil Temp? Is this gauge with Oil Temp the correct spec for a S3?

Second question, I found this bit (see pic) on the floor in the garage under the truck, toward the middle/rear. Can anyone identify it? It's metal, possibly a clip of some sort?

Thanks as always,
    Ben
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gauge.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	14372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	14373

Your oil sender will b found on the side of the oil pan [typically on military trucks & that other part is 1 of 3 clips holding your handbrake actuator in place on the backing plate at the rear of the transfer case.

Bingo Charles, thank you! Luckily the other two clips were still hanging on, so I was able to refasten all three per the shop manual. I definitely do not have a sender on the side of the oil pan. The VIN plate indicates it's a 3/4 tonne 109 FFR, so probably was in service at some point, but I don't think the 2.25L is the original. The gauge with a red light for 'Oil Temp' must be original, although now it is functioning as a 'Charge' indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by westbound View Post
    Bingo Charles, thank you! Luckily the other two clips were still hanging on, so I was able to refasten all three per the shop manual. I definitely do not have a sender on the side of the oil pan. The VIN plate indicates it's a 3/4 tonne 109 FFR, so probably was in service at some point, but I don't think the 2.25L is the original. The gauge with a red light for 'Oil Temp' must be original, although now it is functioning as a 'Charge' indicator.
    The instrument cluster is one designed to have an oil temperature gauge & being an ex FFR ( Fitted for radio) vehicle , designed to run the engine for long periods when stationary, it would have been standard . The temperature gauge has been replaced with the ignition warning light, standard on civilian vehicles and some Military ones. Picture from MoD drivers manual for a S3 Half Ton ( Lightweight) available as an FFR. The vehicle would likely to have had ordinally an oil cooler and the temp. sender would have been connected to that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230816_185044.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	14374