Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Series Rovers and Looking to Learn!

Default New to Series Rovers and Looking to Learn!

I recently picked up my ‘71 Series IIA 2.25ltr Diesel and absolutely love it; I’ve always wanted a Series and although I do not plan to do a full original restoration project, I would like to keep it period correct in appearance. I will add some modern reliability and performance in some areas such as the RoamerDrive, wiring reliability (its in pretty good shape, but has some add-ons that don’t go anywhere), and maybe get a set of steelies that I can put some AT Tires on for daily driving to and from my beach runs and hangar.

It has new brakes, new suspension, appears to be nearly rust free, but does have character dings/dents that I love about it. Partially new interior components that are all aftermarket repops and appears to have all come from Rovers North. I do have the center seat as well but it currently has a center console that works perfectly for some small storage.

On that note, I am completely new to Series Rovers; I have a ton of experience in more modern Rovers such as Discos and LR3/4 but almost zero in Series; I feel I am in the right place to learn.

One place I would Iike to start is to get a bit of history behind it, starting with the ID Tag Number so I can see what I have and what is going to fit. I believe it is a prior military IIA so it has some of the IIA and some of the III parts which makes it complicated for me to ensure what to order when I do repairs and upgrades. I have two hard tops for it (one Safari), door tops without sliders (would like sliders), and rear sides w/sliders that I want to rebuild and reseal as we get ready for the cooler winter months. I do not have a rear door and would like the top for my tail-gate and maybe get a full rear door at some point.

Here is the ID Number: 323014266

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0488A495-FE08-4873-84C8-CD3EE57B0061IMG_3755.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	14415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3699.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	14417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	14416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3701.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	14418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3705.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	14419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3703.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	14420

Any help for ID/VIN search spots and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

~Eric
    ’71 Series IIA
    Southern CommiFornia

Quote Originally Posted by .

One place I would Iike to start is to get a bit of history behind it, starting with the ID Tag Number so I can see what I have and what is going to fit. I believe it is a prior military IIA so it has some of the IIA and some of the III parts which makes it complicated for me to ensure what to order when I do repairs and upgrades. I have two hard tops for it (one Safari), door tops without sliders (would like sliders), and rear sides w/sliders that I want to rebuild and reseal as we get ready for the cooler winter months. I do not have a rear door and would like the top for my tail-gate and maybe get a full rear door at some point.

Here is the ID Number: [B

[/B]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0488A495-FE08-4873-84C8-CD3EE57B0061IMG_3755.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	14415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3699.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	14417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	14416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3701.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	14418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3705.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	14419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3703.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	14420

Any help for ID/VIN search spots and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

~Eric
    ’71 Series IIA
    Southern CommiFornia
    The ID seems slightly odd , should finish with a letter not a number, perhaps you have mis read it . The initial 323 shows it as a LH steering export 88" 2A Diesel Station Wagon , the sequence started with 32300001B . This info is from the Land Rover S2A parts catalogue . Where did the ID number come from and is it stamped on a plate or the chassis . ?
    If you want confirmation you can email the British motor museum which hold the dispatch records . One can ask one question or get a certificate with all the details they hold. I would advise that the Rover records are not very comprehensive and usually only confirm the model, date of despatch and its destination. Often it wont list colors etc. British Motor Museum | Information Services
    I have just looked on the LR Series Two club website and the last digit could well be a G not a 6

I wish mine looked as nice, for a 71 the dash layout throws me as I wonder if it's a Santana?
    I'm kinda sorta looking for a diesel 2a or 2 109.
    And yes, for series this is, as far as I can tell, the premier site to be on.

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    The ID seems slightly odd , should finish with a letter not a number, perhaps you have mis read it . The initial 323 shows it as a LH steering export 88" 2A Diesel Station Wagon , the sequence started with 32300001B . This info is from the Land Rover S2A parts catalogue . Where did the ID number come from and is it stamped on a plate or the chassis . ?
    If you want confirmation you can email the British motor museum which hold the dispatch records . One can ask one question or get a certificate with all the details they hold. I would advise that the Rover records are not very comprehensive and usually only confirm the model, date of despatch and its destination. Often it wont list colors etc. British Motor Museum | Information Services
    I have just looked on the LR Series Two club website and the last digit could well be a G not a 6
    Quite possible the frame ID is a G and has been misread by me and all the way back to it's import days. All the paperwork I have, including the papers from Yugoslavia, shows the number I posted above. My Cali title and registration and all previous registrations and import docs say the same, too, so I don't think I want to open that can of worms with the DMV..hahaha

On that note, I'll get under the chassis, clean it up, and see if I can find a better number to confirm; are frames stamped in more places than one like in the U.S.? If it is a nine-digit ID convention, then I would assume you are quite possibly correct that it has been a misread and has followed it through its U.S. import life back to 2012.

The previous owner did say the dash panels are not period correct, as he bought the panels from eBay a while back and plugged in the existing gauges and switches where he could.

How would I know if it is an LR or a Santana? Does Santana have a different ID convention since you say the first three show 323 LH Steering export 88 2A Diesel Station Wagon; is your assumption that it's a Land Rover build?
    ~Eric
    VictoryOverland
    ’71 Series IIA
    SoCal CommiFornia

I just found the stamp on the right-hand spring mount; the last digit is definitely hard to read. I think I will get some paint stripper and try to clear that spot to expose it before I speculate. Looks like it could be a "b" or an "h." Do we know if they used upper or lower case?

2.25ltr Diesel Engine number: 90651798C
    Last edited by victoryoverland; 09-30-2023 at 06:19 PM.
    ~Eric
    VictoryOverland
    ’71 Series IIA
    SoCal CommiFornia

Quote Originally Posted by victoryoverland View Post
    I just found the stamp on the right-hand spring mount; the last digit is definitely hard to read. I think I will get some paint stripper and try to clear that spot to expose it before I speculate. Looks like it could be a "b" or an "h." Do we know if they used upper or lower case?

2.25ltr Diesel Engine number: 90651798C
    Upper case for the letter . The build info I gave is for Land Rover models not Santana. Do you actually have the chassis plate on the dash or is that missing ? With a 906 sequence number , the engine is from a Series 3 Land Rover.
    For info the last letter on the chassis number was used as an easy way to indicate major modification points and in itself does not affect the rest of the identification number . If you look at the parts list you often see one part number up to Suffix H S2A and then another from Suffix G S2A onwards and all S3. This is the case for rear Hubs when the wheel studs changed to Metric

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    Upper case for the letter . The build info I gave is for Land Rover models not Santana. Do you actually have the chassis plate on the dash or is that missing ? With a 906 sequence number , the engine is from a Series 3 Land Rover.
    For info the last letter on the chassis number was used as an easy way to indicate major modification points and in itself does not affect the rest of the identification number . If you look at the parts list you often see one part number up to Suffix H S2A and then another from Suffix G S2A onwards and all S3. This is the case for rear Hubs when the wheel studs changed to Metric
    Data tag is a repop and was installed for the registration and titling in Cali by the previous owner. All of this is great information and thank you so much for the assistance. The engine is very easily readable and no issues there so thanks for clarifying on the S3; I'm told some military S2A had S3 parts and engines and drivelines; is that a correct assessment?

Once I get the spring mount cleaned off with a paint stripper, it might be much easier to read and see more information. I did write to the British Auto Archives with the information I had so maybe I'll get something good back from them.

I'm not overly concerned on the mismatch of parts and so forth, just more looking for history on my end and ease of getting the right parts when I order for repairs and spares and such. For instance, I plan to do valve lash and timing and need to fix a leak on the valve cover gasket; so being able to get the engine number to Rovers North will help in that aspect for parts ordering.
    ~Eric
    VictoryOverland
    ’71 Series IIA
    SoCal CommiFornia

What is the evidence regarding ex Military as usually they had an extra Tag, but which country ?
    One thing I would advise is to use original Delphi 296 ( Was Lucas CAV 296) fuel filter as they have better filtration characteristics than most aftermarket ones

So far, all comes from the previous owner and some of my documents. Once I get info back from the British Heritage, I think I'll know more.

Thanks for the heads up on the Delphi 296 fuel filter; any other words of recommendation for the 2.25 diesel maintenance and best practices is highly appreciated and welcomed.

What about the gearbox and differentials? I plan to try and do all fluids at once to get it on a maintenance cycle so I will order all gaskets, filters, and fluids for the shelf (and spares) and go from there.

GL4 Gearbox Oil:
    80w-90 Warm Weather
    75w90 Cold Weather

Any input?
    ~Eric
    VictoryOverland
    ’71 Series IIA
    SoCal CommiFornia

[QUOTE=victoryoverland;113491]So far, all comes from the previous owner and some of my documents. Once I get info back from the British Heritage, I think I'll know more.

Thanks for the heads up on the Delphi 296 fuel filter; any other words of recommendation for the 2.25 diesel maintenance and best practices is highly appreciated and welcomed.

What about the gearbox and differentials? I plan to try and do all fluids at once to get it on a maintenance cycle so I will order all gaskets, filters, and fluids for the shelf (and spares) and go from there.

GL4 Gearbox Oil:
    80w-90 Warm Weather
    75w90 Cold Weather

Any input?[/QUOTE
    The S2A handbook reissued 1981 Lists 90EP gear oil for climates above 14F (-10C) . My very early LR One Ten book from 1985 lists GL4 90EP -10C to +35C and 80W EP for cold weather -35C to +10C , which nominally matches your figures. Multigrade gear oils didnt really exist 40 years ago.