Thread: Series 2A wheel and Tire advice

Default Series 2A wheel and Tire advice

I am new to the forum, apologies for my newbie mistake sin advance.

I have a 1966 Land Rovers Series 2A, with original 15 wheels. I need to upgrade all tires which are ancient.

I have been advised to switch to 16" wheels as my original wheels need to be replaced. For tires, I would like chunkier mud tires, not because i plan to go overland, but rather i like the look of them.

My questions.

1. I assume these tires would fit, right?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. Would these? 235/85R16 108Q
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Scorpion-Mud-Mud-Terrain-LT235-85R16-108Q-C-Light-Truck-Tire/50287852?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid= 2222222222750287852_148302665436_18956704938&wl0=& wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=655696508307&wl4=pla-404567524733&wl5=1027744&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=50287852&veh=sem&gclid =EAIaIQobChMIhKnZ8d6RggMV-5TCCB3B3gciEAQYBiABEgL9r_D_BwE

3. Would these work:
    235 / 85 R16
    https://www.prioritytire.com/crosswind-linglong-m-t-lt-235-85r16-120-116q-e-10-ply-mt-mud-terrain-tire?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlIGM6N-RggMVYojCCB3xDgFxEAQYBSABEgIFx_D_BwE

BASICALLY, any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am in the UK so I am not up to date with what is available in the US. All I would say is there are many versions of 16" wheels supplied for Land Rover products over many years since yours was built. . For the 750 x 16 & 235/80 R16 tyre size they need to be 5.5" wide minimum . All wheels originally supplied for Series vehicles require inner tubes as the wheels are not suitable for tubeless radial tyres as they have no humps to retain the tyre if it deflates or with real serious hard cornering. Later Defender wheels were available with humps for radial tubeless tyres . You will see on Rovers North web site the wheels are listed as tubed or tubeless . It is also not recommended to fit tubes to tubeless wheels as the tubes can be stretched as the tyres "jump" over the humps when fitting and subsequently fail when under stress such as taking avoiding action in extremis . . I am sure US based contributions will have more local information.

16" gives higher clearance and a bit more road speed. wider tires are harder on wheel bearings. narrow tires like7.50x16 give excellent traction and are safer on rocky side hills, generally will outperform 'fat tires'. my two bits worth grew up on a rocky mtn. ranch with 4x4's.

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    I am in the UK so I am not up to date with what is available in the US. All I would say is there are many versions of 16" wheels supplied for Land Rover products over many years since yours was built. . For the 750 x 16 & 235/80 R16 tyre size they need to be 5.5" wide minimum . All wheels originally supplied for Series vehicles require inner tubes as the wheels are not suitable for tubeless radial tyres as they have no humps to retain the tyre if it deflates or with real serious hard cornering. Later Defender wheels were available with humps for radial tubeless tyres . You will see on Rovers North web site the wheels are listed as tubed or tubeless . It is also not recommended to fit tubes to tubeless wheels as the tubes can be stretched as the tyres "jump" over the humps when fitting and subsequently fail when under stress such as taking avoiding action in extremis . . I am sure US based contributions will have more local information.
    Thanks!

Thanks!