Thread: Soft top frame mod needed?

Default Soft top frame mod needed?

I noticed the frame for my soft top has little flaps of metal above the slotted rail where the vertical portion meets the sides of the soft top. Am I missing something to slide the fabric in or do I need to carefully cut and fold these flaps in?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DM1EcK7GCG9eqXka6

Just got on the forum. Trying to figure out how to have the picture post without clicking a link.

Thanks all! Excited to be here!

Here's a full install video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPouAISNGoA

The canvas has to tuck into the header rail and side rails.

Header rail install is around 8:50 in the video. Side rails at 9:07.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Looks like the video has a set of rails that don't have the fold of metal at the top covering the vertical rail.

No it's there I believe. If you stop the video at the 6:00min mark and look at the bracket welded to the hoop, the top of the bracket is recessed (into the body) and the bottom sticks out (away from the body). In your photo it looks like the bracket welded to the hoop bar has been welded on the wrong way round (left side on right and vice versa). The top of the bracket is supposed to be in more so that metal lip drops into the top back edge of the side channel. I can probably get a better photo for you when I get home.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I had it reversed. It looks like the bracket is correct. Anyway, here's pictures of how it should look and fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20240307_212106.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	14570

Name:	Resized_20240307_212105.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	14571

Name:	Resized_20240307_212044.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	14572

Mine are on the right way. Guess this was some sort of manufacturing error from the factory. Planning on a bikini top for spring and summer now anyway...

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by WineCountryRover View Post
    Mine are on the right way. Guess this was some sort of manufacturing error from the factory. Planning on a bikini top for spring and summer now anyway...

Thanks for the input.

Can you post up a picture of the inside of your bracket mount? It almost looks like the top of the side channel may be bolted to the back of the hoop bracket and it has to be mounted to the front.