Thread: Old style seat belt bar/ where to mount retraction piece

Default Old style seat belt bar/ where to mount retraction piece

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine gave me a “ old style” seat belt bar as I’m finishing up my (re)build of my 65’ 88 2A wagon. I’ve seen a few posts of mounting the retracting mechanism to the cab side of the tub. Our host also sells a “housing” for the retractor that appears to mount just below the capping edge on the tub side. Anyone have experience with what works best? Is there a safety benefit with one over the other?
    thank you!

I've had 3 Series and none had retractors. I don't think they came around till the defender?

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    I've had 3 Series and none had retractors. I don't think they came around till the defender?
    Could you help me as a Brit in the UK ,Does " Retractors" mean the reel with the webbing on with inertia reel belts ? If so Land Rovers in certain markets did have Reel belts ilo static ones . They are listed normally in the Optional Equipment parts list , not the standard parts list. Certainly S3 were available with such belts. My 1982 Station wagon had static belts & I was able to buy all the brackets and belts to fit inertial reel ones.Name:  20240314_185505.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  71.9 KB
    This is the first set up, from 1975 optional parts list , there are many more some later ones very similar to Defender ones

Hi there, thank you for your reply and diagram of part layout. You’re right I am referring to the inertia belts. I think I’ll purchase the housing piece from RN and mount the retractor piece behind the cab. It might be something I have to temporarily mount as the angle of the belt approaching the support bar makes the webbing slightly twist and I’m concerned it will jamb up. All part of the fun of it. I appreciate your input!

My early 2a had no seal belts originally. While I restore my safari top I wanted to use the seat belt cross bar I had. The bar elevates the way the seat belt meets your shoulder hopefully adding a small element of safety.