Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Week On the Beach

Default Nice Week On the Beach

Just got back from spending a week on/around the beach w/ my IIa. It's really just the perfect environment for this truck...

Did you take the roof off when you got to the beach? Or are those shots on different days? Just curious.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Did you take the roof off when you got to the beach? Or are those shots on different days? Just curious.
    the roof pictures were en route to the Cape house - and the roofless are how the truck was for the whole week - it was awesome - relatively unsafe but awesome

So, is removing the top that easy? I always thought it would be a nightmare...how about the doors. I wasn't sure that the top of my doors are removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    So, is removing the top that easy? I always thought it would be a nightmare...how about the doors. I wasn't sure that the top of my doors are removable.
    naw it's very very easy - just keep all of the nuts and bolts in place after removal so you know where each of them go. It took me no more than 15 minutes to remove the top and door tops...

Is it standard for the tops of the doors to be removable. I haven't noticed a break where they separate. Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Is it standard for the tops of the doors to be removable. I haven't noticed a break where they separate. Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention.
    yeah, your door tops should be removable. There will be two threaded posts that come down from them into the door and nuts that hold them there below the sill. They should be very visible inside unless you have the original padding that was on the inside of some of the doors...

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    Just got back from spending a week on/around the beach w/ my IIa. It's really just the perfect environment for this truck...

Very nice photo!

(sorry to hijack this thread, couldn't help it...) Yes, door tops can be removed easily. Once you get the buggers off, our door top speednuts are a good replacement for the originals. Makes installation and removal easier.

Land Rover Series II, IIA, III Door Top Speednut
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Bostonian,

Who took that first photo? Because I was thinking if it was perhaps your girlfriend, maybe you could have let her stand in the truck and you take the photo
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

When I removed my Series 3 top it did take less that 15 min to remove the hardware, then I almost broke by back removing the top from the truck by myself and tore the inner top liner in the process. Then it took well over an hour to separate the window top from the door half due to a rusted stud and I even broke one at the end. That was a fun day, no other car or truck will do that to you, Man I love my Rover......
    Oh yeah, some PO's might have installed newer Defender doors without the removable door tops so don't go trying to take the window part off one of these. And Yes you have to remove the SW rear door first before you attempt to take the top off. not that this happened to me of course.
    Last edited by LH Drive; 08-22-2007 at 11:53 AM.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW