Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you tow your Series LR?

Question How do you tow your Series LR?

I just took measurements on my enclosed car trailer and the Series III isn't going to fit without going through alot of hassle removing the roof and repositioning the windshield. Under normal conditions I wouldn't think twice but not sure really how rusty the windshield mounts are and don't want to open up "a can of worms" if not needed. Anyone ever use a car trailer from UHAUL? Was thinking the tandem trailer not the dolly. Will be transporting it approx. 1000 miles so I need something safe.

I trailered mine on a flatbed from Baltimore MD to here. Nothing special. you can always flat tow it, just make sure you prep it correctly first.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Did you use a trailer like the ones Uhaul rents? Not all trailers are created equal. Seems like it squeezes under the 4000lb max weight and the width seems ok.

I used a UHAUL trailer when I bought the SIII. The only problem I had was that the straps didnt fit around the 32" tires. Solution was to let the air out!
    99 D1
    73 Series III 88"
    95 RRC LWB

I call AAA. They've helped me out a few times!! hahaha

We towed our 88 on one of the U-haul trailers from Florida to Pennsylvania, and also had to let air out of the tires. This was towed behind the largest truck they rent... not an experience I would ever want to replicate.
    1969 Series IIa 88, 1972 Series III 109,
    1976 Forward Control 101, 1976 MG Midget,
    2003 Discovery

I've towed an 88" with a U-Haul dolly. 1000 miles, and it did just fine. The rear driveshaft was out, to be safe.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

you guys are scaring me. i'm dragg'n my iia w/ a tow bar behind an lr3 600 miles
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

If you decide to Tow it, I would replace the tires that are going to be rolling with new tires even if they have lots of tread remaining. Old tires that have not seen daily use will crack, dry rot and will do one thing on you at high speed, explode. I flat towed mine 1,600 miles from South Texas to Milwaukee last summer. I even wired the S3 rear lights/turn signals to the Pensky rental with a 16' trailer harness.
    Last edited by LH Drive; 08-22-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Well if I had a tow bar I would just "DRAG" it also...I think my Dodge one ton with cummins would do fine.