Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mechanical oil pressure gauge install

Default Let me help you out...

If you all ready have a MOD with a oil cooler, you should already have a mechanical capillary sender and a mechanical Jeager gauge. The capillary sender is at the front of engine, look at the picture you posted in the oil cooler thread, that little sparkplug looking thing with the wire wrapped around the thin tube is you oil temp sender it looks like it is above your alternator. Just like Tom said...

DO NOT BUY A AFTERMARKET SPIN-ON FILTER HOUSING!!!
    Most after market spin on filter housings stick straight out from the block, with your oil cooler adapter plate this will run foul of the frame. Get a LR oil filter housing from a 2.5l late S3 or early 90/110, it looks just like the one you have, but uses a spin on filter.

I think you could use the mechanical water temp sender and gauge for a oil temp but remember oil runs much hotter than water you gauge will probably peg. My 2a 109 Ambulance has a oil temp gauge the normally runs between 40-65C depending on driving conditions and weather, I have had it to just a hair under 100C when climbing the Grapevine Fwy in SoCal. So I would say no... But LR did have a Oil Temp/Pressure Gauge out there at one point, a guy in SoCal has one in his 109 SW.

If you need parts our host does not have check PA Blanchard or John Craddocks.
    Last edited by KingSlug; 11-13-2006 at 02:54 AM.

Default The Wise Owl filter adapter worked on our ambulance

THe screw on filter adapter worked fine on our '68 ambulance...just use the shorter filter to clear the frame, and it made hooking up a manual pressure guage a snap.

Default Why go backwards...

Why put on a filter smaller than the stock filter? Why not just get the correct part and put on a correctly sized filter. The 2.5l filter housing I am holding has 2 ports for an oil pressure and temp gauges, 2 larger ports for an oil cooler( yep, he could get rid of the hockey puck adapter) and another block off that I don't know what it is used for. The oil filter housing I bought was cheaper than the after market and follows the 3Rs. Come to think of it I got the 2.5L filter housing from Ray Wood of Wise Owl too.

More things to consider. Once again thanks to all.
    Jim

Default Mechanical oil pressure gauge install

I ended up with a 2.5 L spin on housing, a banjo fitting and an oil line adapter. I plan on putting the electric sender in the banjo fitting and the oil line on the adapter. I still need to find a fitting which will screw into the end of the adapter and connect to my oil line which runs to the gauge. Does anyone have an idea where to look for such a fitting or know what thread sizes I need? Once again thanks in advance,
    Jim