Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of new project. Want advise on fixing it up for island use.

Default Pics of new project. Want advise on fixing it up for island use.

I am starting to think of the different modifications that should be done to my "new" SIII 88 SW to convert it into a vehicle that will be problem free for island use in the caribbean. I got inspired by the Island 88 that ECR did for a customer in the British Virgin Islands. Looked spectacular but I am not planning on doing that type of restoration to it only to have the new shiney floors scratched to heck with all the sand that usually fills up the insides of the cars there. Was actually thinking of using Line X spray on bedliner for the floors and maybe the underside. Have the stuff on my new Dodge and I am extremely impressed with the durability. Besides having as much stuff galvanized as possible...any other suggestions.

Here is a link to the "rig" http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/leathermanvt/

pick away....Love to hear comments...don't worry I have thick skin and have experience with lots of car restorations so not much scares me.

Chad

I had an Internetional Scout ll Diesel that I purchased for Surf fishing back in South Padre Island, Texas. I did'nt do a restoration to it since it was going to get alot of abuse from the sand. I Rhino linned the interior and added some 1" drain holes that were pluged up with boat plugs so I could just hose down the sand I would bring into the truck at the end of the day just before getting on the highway. The Rhino material was more rubber like than the hard rough Line X material and was easy on your body when crawling arround the truck.
    On a Series truck, I would remove all the removable sections and have them sprayed apart so that you could always take panels off later to get to the areas that may need repair. I think it would also sound proof a series rover.
    Last edited by LH Drive; 08-24-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

I agree with doing the panels separate. Even on my dually they did every little panel cover individual so everything can be removed later. I just remember when I rented a minivan last time I was there and it seemed like we had 10lbs of sand in it by the time we were finished 1 week later. Not an ideal situation. Love the idea on the removable plugs. Wash it down with a hose and she is good to go again.

Any other ideas? Love to hear if anyone can see anything that is horribly wrong from the pics. I know the bulkhead is getting punky and that exhaust system must be barely breathing having it kinked over like that. All of the outriggers have been replaced and I will probably end up replacing the clutch when I pull it apart. 15 years ago I rebuilt this engine for my brother and it still fires up beautifully. Probably only seen 5k miles over the last 20 years.

Looks like a lovely starting point. If it were me, I'd get rid of the hard top and rear door and switch over to an old military top (sides rolled up) and tailgate. Not only does it have that beach dude look but you don't have to worry too much about it when it rains. Whatever gets wet, will just dry off with the constant island breeze. And honestly, things don't get too wet in that configuration.

If you did go that route, then make sure you get a top that you can roll up the sides on. Not all tops are created equal. The cheaper the better but make sure the canvas sides will roll up or else you'll hate it.

By the way, if you want to, then just toss that roof and door out along with those chains from the earlier string. I'll be sure to pick it all up for ya.

I'm very against litter!

Cheers,
    Tim

That 'Kink' in the exhaust was probably very scientifically figured out to determine at what RPM it should start strangling the engine. Thus - it has a built in rev limiter.

Or at least more of a limiter than usual!

More later on things to do...

Default Sounds KINKY

When my brother first showed me the pic of the exhaust....I was thinking...boy that must run like a champ with only 3/4" opening available. Not everyone know about air out = air in = power available. Good thing my cummins has a 4" exhaust.

hmmmmm. a 5.9L 24V cummins in a 88. wouldn't that move quickly. Too bad there isn't any fuel available other than 87 and 91 octane gasoline on the island.

I don't imagine you'd need the heater anymore- maybe you could sell it to PH4?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

That is one of the other mods I was going to do...remove the heater assembly. There never is a day that you would have to turn on the heater. Think the coldest it gets there year round is 80. Now an air conditioner would be nice but...then again..just another thing to break.

As far as swapping the hardtop over to a soft top..have thought about it but I am also trying to keep the costs down on this rehab. Now if someone had a new soft top assembly with correct gate that they wanted to swap...well that is a different story. Love the look of the soft top versions.

Chad

Default BUMP...BUMP...

Hmmm....no comments or suggestions for this ole girl? Was hoping someone would pick apart the photos at all of the evil that lurks behind. Oh well. Guess I just have to be suprised when I go up there and pick it up on Weds.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPear
    Hmmm....no comments or suggestions for this ole girl? Was hoping someone would pick apart the photos at all of the evil that lurks behind. Oh well. Guess I just have to be suprised when I go up there and pick it up on Weds.
    How much did your brother pay you to haul it away?

Hopefully enough to buy a bulkhead it looks shot to me, I would start looking for a better replacement. It's going to take a lot of time and money to repair that rust.
    It also looked like it had some major corrosion to the aluminum of the rear tub?
    You better check that frame real close.
    You are going to need to get something in there to use as an inner wheel well. I can't see the master cylinder looking in from my wheel, yet.
    It's going to allow a lot of sand to get into the engine compartment and start chewing stuff up like your carb linkage.
    And I would switch out the springs for parabolics.

I agree, ditch the top and I would at least get rid of the door tops and than I would make up a top like the rigs on Fantasy Island!!
    Maybe I would stop short of the tassels though? Maybe not?

Drain plugs? I hose mine out all the time and I don't need no stinking drains plugs. In a scout with rocker panels yes, but a Series has a flat floor.

You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it's all fun until someone cracks a knuckle.