Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics of new project. Want advise on fixing it up for island use.

I knew from the start that the bulkhead would require the most work. Even thought about going the route of installing a new Defender 90 bulkhead since I am not really that concerned about "being original" but more about "being rust free"

As far as amount I was paid to "haul it away"...more like how much did I pay to have the "pleasure" of breaking open a knuckle or two.

I agree with the assesment of the bulkhead (as it sounds like you do). If you are going to replace the bulkhead, unless that frame is nearly perfect everywhere I would go ahead and do a galvinaized frame. They may not salt the roads because of the snow but there will be plenty of salt around on an island.

I also agree with the Parabolics since it looks like you need new springs anyway.

Truck mudflaps make great inner wheel arches and are REALLY CHEAP. I put some in mine using existing holes to bolt it in and wedging it into the lip of the wheelarch and have never had it ever come down on me while off-roading or driving down the road. It also saves you from getting those 'stars' in the paint from rocks coming off the wheels. A nice canvas top with the sides rolled up would be nice on the island. You don't need any other type of engine or gearing.

As for other mods? Well, the trucks were kind of built for just where you are taking it. They love puttering along at about 45, dirts roads and the like. If you have the soft top just make sure that all the little tool boxes lock up.

Brent

Does it need to be registered, inspected etc once it gets to the island? If not I would eliminate any and all of the unnecessary lighting especially turn signals and the side running lights on the front fenders and on the tub. I think that you are well advised to get your bulkhead replaced and either get the new D90 one galvanized or coat the footwells with Line-X or something similar. I think the frame will take a beating from the salt air and salty sand so make sure it is in top shape or replace it with a galvanized frame. I would replace every seal that is leaking and take a complete set of every seal with you. I think you are smart to Line-X the interior but as I think it has already been mentioned, do it in parts so you can disassemble it later. It's too bad John Gerding isn't making stainless parts at this time because his radiator supports, mud guards and gas tanks are well worth the money. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.
    Last edited by Jim-ME; 08-26-2007 at 08:08 PM.