Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 72 SIII RUNNING VERY HOT!!!

Default 72 SIII RUNNING VERY HOT!!!

Just installed a new thermostat and still overheating. New fan belt went in 2 weeks ago and I have driven 200 miles with no issues then, it started to overheat. Thats when the new thermostat went in.

Any ideas of where to look? What might not be working?

Help!!!
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

I would flush the complete cooling system since the 2 obvious fixes have already been done.

did that also... Cant seem to get the temp down. what about the water pump?
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

I have a 71 seiries IIa that was running crazy hot.Flushed the system,tried everything still no luck.Finally I just removed the thermostat all together and that solved the problem.Try that

How hot is HOT? are you certain it is overheating and not a faulty gauge? Is it pumping water?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

timing too advanced?

Default Lets measure!

Got access to a digital handheld thermometer? Measure the top hose (outgoing) and lower hose (incoming) along with various spots on the rad core.

You just might have a clogged rad.

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Heres the story... It overheated one day and when I checked under the hood I found that the fan belt was broken. It was very old and worn.

I had the rover towed to the house, installed a new fan belt and it was O.K. for a few weeks. Then it started running real hot again. Just below the red on the gauge. So I went to install a new thermostat and found that it didnt have one. Put the new one in after flushing the system and, Still overheating. Gets to the point of the radiator fluid leaking out the overflow hose. The radiator cap does not seem to be original but, seems to be working since no fluid is escaping from it. (it does steam when hot)

I will check the timing but, it should be fine since I had done that about a month ago.

as far as the water pumping, I will check it to see again but, was pumping fine.
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

Even when running at normal temps you can get fluid out of the overflow hose if you had the radiator full or nearly full.

I would definitely check the temp gauge as I have a Rover that seemed to be running REAL HOT but in fact was fine and it was the temp gauge.

If none of that is the problem and it truly is overheating then I would vote for the radiator being clogged.

Brent

I was just about to go out and flush the radiator again. It is overheating and the gauge is working properly.

I can see the steam escaping the sides of the radiator cap when it gets to hot and the fluid boiling in the overflow right before it starts to escape thru the overflow escape hose.

Hope this works... Thanks...
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA