Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chassis?

Default New Chassis?

I am considering replacing my chassis and want some oppionions from those of you who have done it already. Mainly looking for info regarding quality, shipping, dealing with the company you bought it from. Not too worried about the tech aspect, but any PITFA's you ran into would be nice too.

Getting the old "reenlistment bonus" and trying to figure out what i want to spend it on. my current chassis isnt horrible, but i replaced the front frame horns, there is rust dammage to the crossmember with the PTO hole in it and the rear cross member was replaced by the PO (not a very good job either)

I want a Roverdrive, but a new chassis may be more of a need than a want.

Coilers? any info?

Thanks for the input.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default New Chassis?

Gunny,

Last I heard (Friday) Roverdrives are going for $1350US right now and there's a waiting list.

Since the chassis is the backbone of your 88 & a new one will last another 35 years, and they aren't getting any cheaper... I say go for it.

Best thing you could ever do if your attached to your series.

If your not, Sell it and buy one thats been done already. LOL...
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

I got mine from RN in '96 or so. I've been very pleased with it, the shipping and quality were fine. I wouldn't bother with a coil chassis IF you could even get one. Last I knew ECR quit making them available to the general public.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Both of my Rovers have their original frames. I suppose I just like saving things, but steel isn't that hard to work with. On my 88" I cut out the entire lower half of the square tube on both sides half way down the chassis. The other three sides of the chassis tube were solid. Then I welded in a strip of 3" wide x .125" plate all the way back in to complete the tube repair. I had a tremendous amount of weld time in the chassis, but anything with a square tube design is fairly simple to repair. After galvanizing, it was as new (and a heck of a lot cheaper + it's original).
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Oh yeah,

I had enough left over from the money I saved on the chassis to buy a Roverdrive!

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Those I've done mostly got swept up with a broom and dustpan- there wasn't much to weld to. Plus, at least in NY, you need to have any chassis welding work done by a certified welder which means $$$ per hour.

For trucks that have spent 40 years in the salted northeast I think the $ spent on a new chassis are well worth it.

If I lived in a region where there was less damage I can see fixing what little damage there is. If your chassis is better than my pics above I'd look into repairing/maintaining what you have and spend the $ from your re-up on something else!

Land Rover UK Forums

Yorker,

That rot makes my skin crawl

Thankfully mine isnt 1/8th that bad.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

See things could be worse! Another one I had had the chassis filled with great stuff foam and artfully trimmed and sealed to look like a solid chassis. The fellow I bought it from had been duped by that ploy.

Land Rover UK Forums

Obviously, I didn't mean that everything could be saved. No, that frame is not worth repairing. Each person must make his own determination about what he is capable of.