Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by yorker
    Plus, at least in NY, you need to have any chassis welding work done by a certified welder which means $$$ per hour.
    This is becoming an increasing phenomenon all over the place. I bet you didn't know that you can't install your own garage door now. Someone has decided that it is too "dangerous" for any old joe to work on his OWN garage door. Everything will eventually be litigated away as being too "risky."

I'm waiting for the announcement that we can't pump our own gas, as we might get hurt...

Not meaning to rant, just an observation of our "legal" top heavy society.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    I'm waiting for the announcement that we can't pump our own gas, as we might get hurt...

Isn't that the case in Oregon and New Jersey?

I was in Oregon once, pulled up to a pump.... I never use full-service since it costs so much more, so, I hop out and start to head for the pump... a guy comes running out screaming at me to stop.... said he had to do it, that he'd be in big trouble if I did it myself, that he'd be fined for not stopping me.

Gack.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Not sure if I buy that Certified Welder only thing in NY. Ive lived there for 32 years, worked in a shop for 10 and never heard of such a thing.
    99 D1
    73 Series III 88"
    95 RRC LWB

Yorker....

Do you keep a dustpan in your garage or should you get an industial shopvac for your next birthday
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

Yep a dustpan... Now I wish I took more pictures of the teardown and rebuilds but when i was doing them I really didn't give much thought to it. That seres III is in the process now- I'll try to take more pics.

Man that frame was a mess, it is amazing it didn't just fold up.

The one from my 1965 was like latticework- all that was left of several portions was the welds at the corners of the box section! The welds remained but the sheet metal was gone completely.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

there's a guy out in lincoln, nm. sells stuff on ebay. goes by the name of dustycowboy. he had listed a rolling chassis but his reserve wasn't met. this was a couple of months ago.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    there's a guy out in lincoln, nm. sells stuff on ebay. goes by the name of dustycowboy. he had listed a rolling chassis but his reserve wasn't met. this was a couple of months ago.
    He's the guy that screwed me on a Series III trans, said it was perfect and the gears were so rusted it wouldn't even turn.
    He would do nothing to correct the situation!

Steve

ya give him a crappy review or if he advertised it as other than the condition ya got it go to ebay's dispute resoution. my only problem was for something that was never delivered and e-bay got me about 90% of my money back. thanks for the heads up on 'em.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    ya give him a crappy review or if he advertised it as other than the condition ya got it go to ebay's dispute resoution. my only problem was for something that was never delivered and e-bay got me about 90% of my money back. thanks for the heads up on 'em.
    Well here's how it went down....
    Saw him listing a lot of Series III stuff so I sent him a note thru Ebay asking if he had a good Series III trans.
    He said he had a perfect low miles trans and T-case he would let me have for $450.
    OK, I thought the price a little high, but for a low milage "perfect" unit I said what the hell.
    Now here is where I made a big mistake.
    I just went ahead and bought it straight from him, heck he had pretty good feedback why worry, right? Wrong!!
    I am 99% sure he knew this trans was messed up.
    I still have the emails where I asked him to do some checks for me like, turn the input shaft and shift it thru the gears and tell me how it felt.
    "It spins free and shifts great" was his response B.S. as you can see from the picture in the earlier post that trans was never turned. Heck I couldn't shift it let alone turn it after it bouced on a truck all the way from New Mexico to Michigan!
    Which cost me $230 to get shipped.
    Sent him pictures of what I found (one of which is the picture you see) which he said wasn't of his trans!
    So I sent him other pictures of the trans cover, which included the same serial number him had sent me earlier, showing it completely rusted out from the inside breather.
    I just wanted a few bucks back as the trans was not a total loss.
    He response was to send it back, so another $230 to ship it back and I would have been a whopping $10 dollars in the hole!!!

I should have at least made him post it on Ebay with a "Buy it Now" price so I could have at least given negative feedback.
    I'm sure he had no plans to list this trans but when a sucker like me came along, well he thought, what the hell.

BTW.. His Mommy is a real treat to talk to, leave my son alone he didn't this and didn't that, he's not a transmission expert!!!
    You don't need to be a trans expert not to lie thru your teeth!!!

Expensive lesson learned for me.....
    NEVER BUY LAND ROVER PARTS SIGHT UNSEEN UNLESS IT IS FROM SOMEONE ON THE VARIOUS LAND ROVER FORUMS!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BackInA88
    Well here's how it went down....
    Saw him listing a lot of Series III stuff so I sent him a note thru Ebay asking if he had a good Series III trans.
    He said he had a perfect low miles trans and T-case he would let me have for $450.
    OK, I thought the price a little high, but for a low milage "perfect" unit I said what the hell.
    Now here is where I made a big mistake.
    I just went ahead and bought it straight from him, heck he had pretty good feedback why worry, right? Wrong!!
    I am 99% sure he knew this trans was messed up.
    I still have the emails where I asked him to do some checks for me like, turn the input shaft and shift it thru the gears and tell me how it felt.
    "It spins free and shifts great" was his response B.S. as you can see from the picture in the earlier post that trans was never turned. Heck I couldn't shift it let alone turn it after it bouced on a truck all the way from New Mexico to Michigan!
    Which cost me $230 to get shipped.
    Sent him pictures of what I found (one of which is the picture you see) which he said wasn't of his trans!
    So I sent him other pictures of the trans cover, which included the same serial number him had sent me earlier, showing it completely rusted out from the inside breather.
    I just wanted a few bucks back as the trans was not a total loss.
    He response was to send it back, so another $230 to ship it back and I would have been a whopping $10 dollars in the hole!!!

I should have at least made him post it on Ebay with a "Buy it Now" price so I could have at least given negative feedback.
    I'm sure he had no plans to list this trans but when a sucker like me came along, well he thought, what the hell.

BTW.. His Mommy is a real treat to talk to, leave my son alone he didn't this and didn't that, he's not a transmission expert!!!
    You don't need to be a trans expert not to lie thru your teeth!!!

Expensive lesson learned for me.....
    NEVER BUY LAND ROVER PARTS SIGHT UNSEEN UNLESS IT IS FROM SOMEONE ON THE VARIOUS LAND ROVER FORUMS!!

Steve
    Gotta love Ebay! what a turdbiscut. There is a guy 50 miles south of me in Wilmington who has the same deal, Tidewater Rover. Serious problems, met a dude who used to work with him, he quit because of the guys ethics.

O well, what can you do?

LOTS!
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)