Thread: ??Cummings turbo diesel conversion??

Default ??Cummings turbo diesel conversion??

Has anyone ever done a Cummins turbo diesel conversion? If you have any information please fill me in.

Thanks,
    Mat
    Last edited by onecross; 08-28-2007 at 12:16 PM.

some one just did that, either posted on Dweb or here. Do a search for it.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

I am getting ready to do a 4BT swap into my 109 ambulance. I think the people probably the most knowledgeable would bet Timm Cooper or maybe Ike Goss.

Its a big conversion, but here is what I am doing. 4bt CPL1839 coupled to a NP435 with a Ike Goss adapter output shaft to mate with the series hi-ratio transfer case to toyota diffs(8" or maybe 9.25") with SeriesTrek axles. Its alot of work.

Here is the thread on RN about a 4bt: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287

Here is a Timm Cooper creation with a 6AT:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cummi...QQcmdZViewItem

Enjoy
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

I just saw a jeep wrangler with a Cummins 4BT Twin Turbo Diesel that had gobbs of torque and gave over 35 MPG. This engine was built by Haisley Machine, a well known Cummins Diesel builder out of Fairmount, IN. This got me intersted in a future Diesel engine swap.
    Last edited by LH Drive; 12-06-2007 at 07:48 PM.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Default Cummins conversions

There's a number of Rover Cummins swaps on the west coast, prolly less than ten, Timm having done (I think) all of them, except Ike's 88 which Ike did himself.

Ike is a great source of info, his website is pangolin4x4.com. You can reach Timm thru Ike.

You will also find info at pirate4x4.com, do a search of the bulletin boards and you'll find that it's been either considered or done in Rovers, Toyotas, Scouts, Jeeps, you name it. But don't ask questions there til you read up on existing posts. Those guys are brutal with newbies.

For more general info on the subject, not Rover exclusive, try 4btswaps.com.

And for the love of God people, it's not CummINGS, it's CummINS. That is like saying Ferd or Morcedes or Cradillax. If you ask Timm Cooper for a CummINGS conversion you may not get what you expected.
    Last edited by Momo; 08-28-2007 at 11:42 AM.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=127523659

Is a good list. I've been on it for years now. Ike Goss once mentioned that he had a friend who made a IH Scout that returned >40MPG. High geared but the 4bt can handle that with its torque.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums