Thread: 03 Disco - loud noise from pwr steering system

Default 03 Disco - loud noise from pwr steering system

Hi All,

I've got an 03 Series II with the 4.6l engine & ACE... I've been noticing an increasingly louder "growl" when turning the steering wheel. It actually sounds a lot like a hydraulic cylinder activating under load. BTW - noise is louder when sitting still - I assume this is because its harder to move the wheels when not in motion.

Is this indicative of power steering pump going out or something a little less sinister? Not experienced at all with steering systems, so HELP!

oh - vehicle just shy of 60k miles.

Thanks!

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Greetings, I would first start by checking both your power steering reservoir and the ACE reservoir fluid levels. Look in your drivers manual for reference. Report back on the findings.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default 03 Disco with noisy steering pump

I checked the reservoir, and forgot to include that data... the power steering fluid reservoir is about .5" lower than the "low fill" line... I haven't driven it since I noticed that, because I haven't been able to find the power steering fluid specified in the manual, and it says the pump could be damaged by insufficient fluid.

So... have I damaged the pump? or will filling the reservoir to the "fill" line take care of it? Seems like an awful small margin of error - less than a pint, I'd estimate - especially when there is no warning indicator (aside from the growling its started to do!)

And where do I get the power steering fluid - the manual is very specific, and no auto parts store I've talked to has a cross reference for the fluid specified (Texaco Cold Climate PAS Fluid and a GM equiv. part) I figured I'd have to get it from the dealer, whose service dept. has been closed since Friday!

So... have I damaged the pump? or will filling the reservoir to the "fill" line take care of it?

You should be fine!! Unless you drove it for a while like that? Which I doubt, that horrible noise normally prevents that