Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pop goes the axel...

Quote Originally Posted by singingcamel
    whilst you have it apart look closely at the short shaft as well, usuallly if one side goes the other will follow shortly.
    look for wear and twisting of the splines.
    clean out the diff of fragments! good luck
    www.singingcamel.com
    Thanks for reminding me. I think I pained a straight line down these shafts with nail polish (yeah, yeah don't ask) before I put them in just to test if one can see the amount of twist these things go through.

If the lines are still there, I'll post a picture for you all.

Cheers,
    Tim

Default broken axle stub

It probably broke at the inner end. Get a nice long 22 cleaning rod with a comfotable handle on the end, you pull both axles, slide the cleaning rod in from the good side, pas tthe spder gear pin until you can feel it agasint the broken stub. Give it a good healthy wack and the broken bit will shoot near the hub where you can fish it out with a bit of bailing wire. If you carry a spare axle and are lucky one can do it all in less than half an hour.