Thread: Series III starting problems??

Default Series III starting problems??

I had a series III desiel given to me by my aunt due to the passing of my uncle. I have been a cruiser guy since 1983 and I am trying to learn more about these rovers. I have been working on it slowing over the last few months and it has now developed a starting problem. I would turn the key and the starter would engage but it would stop. I would try it again later and would only get clicks and it would stop. It was starting okay up to now time. I did check all the connections then finally the battery. I did end up buying a new battery. It started right up but it ran for only a few minutes then it shut off..

redrover

my experience w/ diesel comes from an old volvo d26. i'd guess you may have solved the starter problem w/ the new battery but to have it just die would be more in fuel delivery. once a diesel starts combustion is all compression. i'd start with the cheapest, inspect and clean injectors. then find the psi output specs for your fuel pump. again the volvo injector pump needed to put out a high psi to force the diesel through the injector so that the diesel vapor entering the cylinder is such that the compression, 24:1, would ignite it. best of luck
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Not much experience with rover diesels but diesels in general rely on good clean fuel filters in order to squeak the fuel into the injectors at a high enough pressure to atomize. Make sure you add some fresh fuel into the new filter so that the pump won't have to crank over all those times to fill it up for you.

If thats not it then I would still suspect the fuel system as there is no ignition and you've obviously got enough compression since it was running at all.

Cheers,
    Tim