Thread: 1965 Proper Rear Lights

Default 1965 Proper Rear Lights

Hi, fairly new user hear. I have been working on the little stuff this month and am puzzled by my signals. I have a 1965 LHD 109 SW and I have never seen these brake and turn lights on a Land Rover. The brake/parking light look like something off of a boat trailer and the turn signals look like a small plastic dixie cup. Any help on what would be “proper” on a ‘65? Or are these just an factory oddity?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    John
    Last edited by Hormel; 05-12-2008 at 11:33 PM.

these are aftermarket lights the red ones are just that (trailer lights) and the clear are an old aftermarket replacement ive seen a lot on land rovers, it should have two red lights on each side, these are available from RN.....

Default Welcome!

What RoverTek said.

When you get a chance, show us some more pics of your Rover. Filling out your profile is a help to all as well. It's always nice to see someone wanting to put their Rover back to the way it came from the factory.

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Jeff, you are my kind of rover owner, keep it all factory

Quote Originally Posted by rovertek
    these are aftermarket lights the red ones are just that (trailer lights) and the clear are an old aftermarket replacement ive seen a lot on land rovers, it should have two red lights on each side, these are available from RN.....
    Optionally the turn signals can have amber lens's.

Brake & tail lamp goes on top & the turn signal goes on bottom.

Someone likely did funny things to your rear wiring. Unless the white lights underneath are turn signals.

Default Thanks for the welcome

Jeff,
    Thanks for reminding me on the profile. Indeed I am going back to stock, with the exception of maybe adding an overdrive, upgrade the brakes, and someday a galvanized frame (in my dreams). The LR is in pretty good shape but I recently lost a tooth in first gear so while sourcing a replacement transmission and funds I have been working on the small stuff. I will put together a better picture and description of the beast and its oddities on another thread.

TeriAnn
    Yep, the lower white lights are my signals. Attached is a picture of the front lights. Orange bulb inside the larger lens for the turn signal and clear in the smaller. I like your site, lots of good information.

John
    Last edited by Hormel; 05-12-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn
    Optionally the turn signals can have amber lens's.

Brake & tail lamp goes on top & the turn signal goes on bottom.

Someone likely did funny things to your rear wiring. Unless the white lights underneath are turn signals.
    hmm my '67 has amber turn signals on top and brake lights on the bottom - is that incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Hormel
    Jeff,
    TeriAnn
    Yep, the lower white lights are my signals. Attached is a picture of the front lights. Orange bulb inside the larger lens for the turn signal and clear in the smaller.
    Your fronts look unmolested and I see you have the now hard to find boomerang wing mirror arms. Take care of those.

Bostonian1976,
    I may have gotten the vertical order backwards. I'm not sure it matters a whole lot to anyone other than rivet counters though. Mostly I wanted to mention that turn signal lenses could be amber.

Default Yikes..

I have much work to do to my wings to make them look at straight as yours. Great pic.

Nice shape!

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks