Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rarity of Tropical Top?

I put a tropical roof on my 74 Series III when restoring. I read somewhere they were not common on US import III's. Apparently they sold some with sun screens but very few with alpine windows and vents. I also read a few with tropical roofs originally intended for the middle east made it to the US but I can't find that reference. My roof came from an old '68 and I paid (great shape, just faded) $1000 for it. Cleaned it up, painted the roof itself limestone white, and the sunscreen white. Used the Badger Coach Works liner. Didn't need it, no it's not stock, but damn does it look Daktari awesome.
    1974 Series III 88

The NAS series III tropical roofs had the sun sheet and alpine lights by did not have the roof vents. Pretty sure anyway. May not have had the alpine lights either.

Al took his series III to Africa with us an he had an original NAS safari roof. Check the pictures (white truck) from our expedition. I’m sure it didn’t have vents but I can’t remember if it had the windows or not. That was 18 years ago...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Quote Originally Posted by J!m View Post
    The NAS series III tropical roofs had the sun sheet and alpine lights by did not have the roof vents. Pretty sure anyway. May not have had the alpine lights either.

Al took his series III to Africa with us an he had an original NAS safari roof. Check the pictures (white truck) from our expedition. I’m sure it didn’t have vents but I can’t remember if it had the windows or not. That was 18 years ago...
    Hi Jim from CT. This is Jeff. You know that AL sold the White Series three years ago, I believe it now lives in Vermont somehwere at a ski resort. I still run into him when he comes back to CT. Cheers.

Hey Jeff how are you!

Will you be hitting any events this year?
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Quote Originally Posted by J!m View Post
    Hey Jeff how are you!

Will you be hitting any events this year?
    I will fill you in with a PM message. Cheers.

My '73 88 has a tropical roof, with Alpine windows and the vents. The top and sides of the roof are in blue body color, and the sheet is limestone. That never seemed right to me; I believe the whole thing (sides/top/sheet) should be limestone. But what a huge PITA to get it redone correctly ... will just leave well enough alone.

The tropical roofs do as they're designed to, and most of them have nice liners to boot. Wonder why they weren't more popular.