Thread: transfer cese question (again) 3rd gear

Default transfer cese question (again) 3rd gear

Hello, my tranfer case is popping out of third gear while going up hill. Any insight? many thanks

Default Ideas...

I'll tell you what I've been told. Could be bad synchros, or it could be a loose castle nut on the back of your drive shaft at the rear of the transfer case.

Chris

Mine comes out of gear coasting downhill, never up. I know it's not the castle nut because I just replaced the rear oil seal in the transfer case and the nut was/is tight. I suspect the syncros but would like to find out it's an adjustment somewhere.

well more than likely what is happening, is the slider and/or synchro hub is the problem. the slider is what the shift fork moves when changing gears. they have little teeth on them shaped like little dog houses. as they wear out the little dog houses become worn and no longer hold solidly into the gear selected. it is also possible that the detent spring for 3rd gear may be worn out. of the many manual trannys i have built this seems to be common. the cause is usually from either grinding the gear or not engaging it all the way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------1970 SIIa 2.25 petrol 88
    1970 Series IIA 88" Petrol