Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What color is your tailpipe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    dmurrel,
    Well said and thanks for a real answer. No offense to anyone else.
    Jim
    I was being serious, actually. I burn diesel.

Of you sir I am jealous. Hopefully someday.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

I was serious too! I guess it didn't come out that way though...

What I meant to say Jim... IMHO, every car in the waaaay past I've driven without a catalytic convertor and used leaded petrol the tail pipe was grey. All the cars I've owned with cats and run unleaded petrol [including my '94 Defender 90 NAS] the tail pipes were black and looked like I ran diesel! Sooo, I think that you're ok with your Series as long as it get's decent mpgs (12-16 range or maybe better?) and isn't burning too much oil up. Sooty would be richer and not as crumbly sooty would be leaner. The best test would be to hook it to an exhaust sensor and that way you could dail it right in.

ps... sorry I didn't mean that race 108 octane Sunoco leaded fuel make you go any faster or that you should be using it to run grey.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

I was basing my question on the days of leaded fuel and woindered if unleaded fuel burned the same way. At times I worry too much about the condition of my engine and just want to get as much out of it as it will give.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TSR53
    I was recently at the Lime Rock Vintage festival and most if not all had grey exhaust as they are running leaded 108 race fuel.
    Hey Thompson, next time you're headed to Lime Rock, give me a shout. I'm 5 minutes from there.

jim

Black and sooty means that you are running too rich. This is a guess but I would guess that in a perfect world you should have a greyish color that isn't sooty.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    I asked a legitimate question. It doesn't help me make sure my Rover is tuned and adjusted correctly if I get cutsie answers.
    Looks like you got enough "serious" replys - glad to see my "cutsie" answer didn't throw you off.
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

I was so tempted to ask if Meineke is a color. Mine is black too, Im running a diesel as well. My 2.25 gas was black too. It seemed alot easier to simply smell the exhaust. Rich exhaust and lean exhaust have very different smells. I always know when someone isnt running cats in front of me now.

-Jason

Ya gotta get a sense of the crew on here man, UR gonna get all kinds of answers.U have 2 sort out the serious ones. I found that out QUICK .. Mercedes/ black= correct/funny2..Green??? if your engine is running correct, a finger wipe"in the exhaust that is" should yeild nothing... what are U getting?.......Donnie