Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil

Default Engine Oil

I changed my oil and filter yesterday to 10W30 as its starting to get cold. My sump would only take 6 qts before reading full to the H mark on the dipstick. From what I've read it should have taken 6.5 qts without the filter plus I've got an oil cooler as well. Is it possible that I've either got the wrong dipstick or that the dipstick tube slipped into the block so I'm getting a bad level? Thanks,
    Jim

Unfortunately I can't even make an educated guess on the dipstick other than I guess that it is possible that something is amiss with the dipstick and or tube.

Is there any chance that it takes longer for oil to drain out of the oil cooler so some oil was left in the system? Again this is a guess as none of my Rovers have an oil cooler.

Brent

I am sure someone has an actual educated reply!
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Thanks Brent. I will admit that the oil cooler must hold some of the old oil as I haven't found a way to drain it other than disconnect the lines each oil change. I'll bet you're right.
    Jim

math may say that that ain't it...2.25's hold 6.5 qrt, add an oil cooler they take a 6.5 + x where x = the capacity of the cooler, if the oil cooler doesn't drain and hangs on to x you should still be able to get the 6.5 in
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Keep in mind that American and British Quarts are different. Though different in the wrong direction with the problem you are having. Unless of course you have specs in American units and you are filling with British units.

Do you have another dipstick available to give it a quick try?

Brent
    1969 109 P-UP

No I don't

Default compare dipsticks

um, don't know how else to phrase this, but...

someone else should measure their dipstick for comparison. Jim's may indeed be too short. But he only has one, so help out guys. Measure from the lower edge of the little cap at the top.

No 2.25s here anymore otherwise I'd go first.

good luck and godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    No I don't
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Is there anyone up near you? If you head to Southern Maine and you want to grab one to test with (while measuring and taking a look at the fuel filler on one of my tubs) and then send back to me then send me a private message and we can arrange either you stopping by or maybe my brother sending one up to you.

Not sure if this will help but I just measured the dipstick on my 1965 109SW. I don't believe that the engine is original to the vehicle but it is a 2.25 liter. The dipstick from the bottom of the bell shaped piece that holds it in place to the bottom of the dipstick is 19 and 5/16 inches long. The dipstick tube is almost perfectly 12 inches from the engine block to its upper tip. (not from the top of the nut that it goes through but from the engine block itself).

Let me know if you need to stop by or to have my brother send one up to you.

Brent
    1969 109 P-UP

sorry for the slight hyjack...

Brent, where is your brother in southern Maine....?

I'm in the Kittery, Eliot area

..and Jim, I can't imagine that you could have a dipstick problem. More likely that all the oil did not drain in the first place. Did you run the motor for a couple min before checking the final level?
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

My brother is in North Yarmouth, just down the street from another Rover enthusiast. I have some property in Old Orchard Beach where a couple of my Rovers sit.

Brent
    1969 109 P-UP