Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Series IIa

Default 1970 Series IIa

Hello my name is Chad and I live in NC and am in the process of restoring a 1970 Series IIa and had a question about how it is currently running. This LR is all original and has 57,000 original miles and when the rover is and ideling it sputters a little and blows out white smoke when you rev the engine. What is this a sign of or how can I correct this issue. Thanks in Advance for any advice as I am new to the series Land Rovers. I have added some pics of my rover.

Last edited by yarborc; 10-22-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Is the sputtering an uneveness in the idle or is it spitting liquid out of the talepipe?

If there is a bit of liquid coming out of the talepipe and you haven't really warmed up the vehicle or REALLY ran it for awhile you could be blowing the condensation out of the exhaust system. Off the coast of Maine people who live out on the islands will sometimes have to replace a muffler every year because they don't drive enough to dry out the muffler so it stays wet and just rusts out.

If it is A LOT of white smoke and a really uneven idle then you could be looking at a head gasket issue. If it is a bit of white smoke and a pretty even idle is probably not serious at all.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

It idles for the most part smoothly but just has that spudering coming out of the muffler with no liquid, just a little white smoke and more of cours when you give it gas. How would I go about trouble shooting this more or do you think this is harmless/normal considering the age of the engine. Thanks for the reply.

a bit of a sweet smell might mean antifreeze is gett'n in the cylinders, possible bad head gasket.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Default More photos please, Chad!

Interior shots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW
    Interior shots, too.
    Yeah. That's a good lookin' car!

If you are worried about a failed head gasket do a compression test. Keep the throttle open and do a leakdown test to eliminate any ring blowby. Open your radiator cap and look for oil floating on top of the coolant. You can also look at the plugs and if one looks like it is getting steam cleaned you will know - the leak has to be pretty chronic before this will show.

Depending on your location as the days cool off and the mornings get damp (Oh how I miss autumn - I'm deserted out.) you will get moisture or condensation when you fire up in the morning. Take it for a drive and really warm through the engine at which point the condenstaion should disappear for the most part. If not a gasket reaplcement is nothing to be afraid of and will let you inspect the valves etc.

Cheers
    Gregor

Chad, Where in NC?

SwampRat,

I am located in Sanford, NC are you in NC?

I will post some additional pics of my Rover as soon as I get a chance to take some.
    Last edited by yarborc; 10-24-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Chad,

I'm about an hour south of you, little town called White Oak.

What carb is on the truck? How long has it been sitting?