Thread: Cleaning/Degreasing Engine on Series IIa

Default Cleaning/Degreasing Engine on Series IIa

I was wondering what the best method is to clean and degrease the engine in a series IIa rover. I have alot of crud and grease built up around the engine and surrounding parts and would like to have it clean so I can look for leaks etc. Thanks

Rent or borrow a "Hotsy", a hot water/steam pressure washer. Some you can even add a detergent.
    I'm sure half-a-dozen people will chime in to warn you not to spray around seals, cap, or maybe not at all, but honestly any other option involves hours and hours scrubbing with either noxious or ineffective (your choice) chemicals for only mediocre results.

I used oven cleaner from the dollar store, sprayed it on, let it sit, and then used the water hose. Worked pretty well. Though the fumes are nasty, but it was cheap!
    Alex Jones
    Atmore, Al
    '64 SIIA 88
    '79 MB 240D daily driver
    '80 MB 240D donor
    '59 MB 190D "rutso-ration in progress"
    '00 Chevy Silverado 4x4 "rescue vehicle"
    "Glad I ain't haze grey and underway!"

I used a half dozen cans of aerosol carb cleaner, then rinsed with water. No scrubbing involved except where the grease had really built up.

Default oil eater

i prefer oil eater. You may be able to get it by the gallon at your local costco or somewhere online. its biodegradable and is relatively harmless. Works great

in a recent article in land rover owner international showed how to spruce up the entire engine bay