Thread: gear lever question.

Default gear lever question.

i have a 1971 88 swb 2a. My transmission gearlever has one bend at the very bottom and then its straight all the way to the top with a round nob.Ive seen some levers with 2 bends with a flatter black knob.What correct for my year?thanks

I have only seen the straight shanked lever used on Military trucks, and those didn't have center seats. The knob presses on with a waffle shim between the ball and the shank.
    The '71 2A imported to the US had a center seat and canted lever (2 bends) with threaded on knob. I bought a '71 in 1972 that's what it had.
    In addition to those two styles, there are levers canted to the right, as used on RHD trucks. I recently bought an Ex MOD 109 (LHD) but it had a RHD canted, straight shank lever. What a pain. In fourth, it was about a half mile away from me.

so I guess I have a series 3 shift lever in my 2a ?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrover
    so I guess I have a series 3 shift lever in my 2a ?
    What makes you say that?

I did a little more checking.
    In the 2A parts manual, both levers are shown.

There are 2 straight levers shown, one for RHD(FRC1832), one for LHD(FRC1833), but both are listed as used on SIX cylinder models.

There are 2 dog legged parts shown, and are listed as for FOUR cylinder models. RHD(FRC1454) and LHD(FRC1455)

There are 2 straight levers shown in the MOD parts manual, and NO dog legged ones.
    So, based on the 2A Factory Manual (RTC9840CC) you have a six cylinder trucks lever in your 4 cylinder 2A. I don't have a S3 parts manual, so I couldn't say positively that they didn't make some unexplained change and start puting 6 cyl shift levers in S3 four cyl trucks.

thanks for the info- i like keeping my truck original-its fun hunting down the right parts.So according to you I should have a "doglegged" shifter.I'll start searching

I believe they used the straight shifter on the very late IIa's and III's. My '71 109" had one. They are perfectly interchangeable with the earlier shifter so functionally it isn't an issue.
    Jason T.

I have a July 71 build (Very late) SIIA NADA with the dog leg lever.

Two possibilities are:
    - The usual parts chnage froma previous owner. Lots of people have had gear levers break over the years so this may just be the replacement.

- Land Rover are reknowned for using whatever parts happened to be in the bin that day so it is a 'possibility' it came fromthe factory that way. This is especially true if the truck was built around the time of model change overs.

What you have should work but do what makes you feel right.

Cheers
    Gregor