Thread: Rust prevention ?

Default Rust prevention ?

I was in northern Illinois the other day and saw a series 3 parked in front of an offroad shop. Naturally I decided to stop and look at it. What seamed like a sound LR passing by quickly became a basket case when I stoped to look at it . Being from south Texas where we don't see much snow I have never seen this much rust on a truck before. I was amazed that the truck was still intact. Then I discovered it had a new galvinized frame. Every place that allum and metal made contact the allum was gone, turned to powder. This made my stomach turn and wonder if this will happen to my Series if driven on the salty wet winter Mid-West roads. My original boxed frame must have been waxoyl'd some time back, it still looks like new metal inside and needs a new coat outside as it's flaking off. No holes yet or none that i've found exept on the front most part of the horns where the bumper mounts. Was thinking of just spraying my frame with more waxoyl inside and out and driving it this winter, then I saw this poor land rover and it made me make other plans. I do want to keep my LR for a long time and want to protect my investment if I ever decide to sell.
    So what needs to be done in order to drive it next winter? I was thinking of taking it apart and brushing POR 15 to all steel parts and adding plastic/nylon washers to nuts/bolts. would this be overkill. What have you guys done to your daily driven winter rigs?
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

This will be sacrilege to some but I wash it once a week in a coin op paying special attention to the undercaridge. POR 15 is supposed to be very good and I use it but I haven't used it long enough to swear by it yet. I wouldn't thnk you nuts if you did paint your frame using it. When I take my Rover apart I do everything I can to stop the reacton between alluminum and steel like using neoprene washers on the bolts and chip proof film, duct tape or self adhesive foam tape between steel and alluminum pannels. Some have said I'm kidding myself that you can't stop it but at least I've done everything I can short of not driving it and enjoying it. The truth is, mine in 43 years old. If my rebuild lasts 40 years before I have to do it again I'll be 85 and God willing I'll be able to rebuild her again.
    Jim