Thread: Well, It Was News in 1964

Default Well, It Was News in 1964

My friend Johan sent me this from SA.

"A Land Rover is at once a delightful runabout and a rolling torture chamber. It combines the best and worst features of a truck with the insouciance of an MG-TC. It is a car that every man feels compelled to buy at one time or another, but hardly anybody has a use for. It is best suited to off-the-road cross-country adventure. Conversely it is not specifically useful for shopping trips, or general family-household use, but that's what people do with it. This is one of several instances where perfectly reasonable people have seemed to take leave of their senses on first meeting the Land Rover. It is less of a car than a state of mind. Its owners are the most partisan group imaginable and its would-be owners are legion."
    -- Car and Driver, September 1964.

and so was born the SUV culture!

that pretty much describes the current state of things, doesn't it?
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

I suppose it may be, by deffinition, but I never thought 'SUV' and LAND ROVER in the same context

MPUV (Multi Purpose Utility Vehicle)

R.