Thread: 3.9 Cam question

Default 3.9 Cam question

My 109 stage 1 has a Discovery 3.9 in it with an Edelbrock manifold and 4 barrel carb. I was recently told that switching from the original cam to one designed for carburated engines will make it run smoother. Not being an expert on cams myself I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I'll be pulling my intake manifold and heads to replace gaskets soon so I was wondering if a cam swap will help also. Thanks

personally i would leave your engine the way it is.
    changing out the cam will be easy with the heads ,intake off.
    you may have to replace the valves,valve springs depending how aggressive the cam you may have to change push rods rocker arm brackets .as well as the timing gear.and then retime .
    check you stepper motor for your idling issues.marc
    http://singingcamel.com

Quote Originally Posted by singingcamel
    personally i would leave your engine the way it is.
    changing out the cam will be easy with the heads ,intake off.
    you may have to replace the valves,valve springs depending how aggressive the cam you may have to change push rods rocker arm brackets .as well as the timing gear.and then retime .
    check you stepper motor for your idling issues.marc
    http://singingcamel.com
    oopppps ,no stepper motor on a carb engine ,soory my mistake

Colin,
    When I did the 4.0L conversion I went with the RPI RP4 cam which is designed for EFI engines and provides more torque lower in the bandwidth. You've seen and heard my truck. Maybe this weekend you can even take it for a ride.

I don't know when your truck had its cam changed last but you know how these engines eat cams. Given that, I think it's a good idea to at least prepare for the possibilty of changing cams. I'm happy with mine but with the exchange rate being what it is today I think you can do much better buying one in the US. Why don't you give the guys at D&D a call? They're among the best at setting up Rover V8's on this side of the pond.

I'll get back to you later with the website and I'll see you this weekend.
    Cheers,
    Paul

I can't believe I didn't know this address of the top of my head! I'm getting old!!!

http://www.aluminumv8.com

Also, remember Summit Racing can be your friend!