Thread: Heater temperature irradic

Default Heater temperature irradic

The temperature guage on my 2001 D2 reads normal, but the heater blows cold air, especially at slower driving speeds. Also, the temperature guage has been showing occasional trips into the upper range of the guage, but then returns to the horizontal/normal position. Are both indications of a thermostat needing to be replaced? Any ideas?

Greetings......

Yep, thermostat would be the first place I would look.

Peace,
    Art

Default not the thermostat

you have air in your radiator system

run your engine and open the hood.

Look at the hose that runs across the top of your radiator.

In the center of the hose it has a screw.

Loosen the screw, now start adding coolant/wter mix to the overflow tank.

The loose screw will let air out while the new fluid is taking up its place in your system.

when coolant comes out the screw hole in ernest then you have filled the system completely.

Afte doing this, try it agoin a few days and you may get more fluid into the sytem.

The bigger question is: where is the fluid going? Look under your vehicle. If you find coolant leaking from your engine you need to careflly check it out. It may be a head gasket and require repair.

Default Not thermostat

I think you're right. I was ready to replace the thermostat but looked at the coolant level first. It was low. I added antifreeze and I'm monitoring the level, but I can see a slow leak coming from the front of the engine. I'll have to investigate this and find the source of the leak. Does anyone know if the water pumps on Discos start to leak if the bearings go bad?