Thread: sankey haul'n?

Default sankey haul'n?

i'm thinking of get'n a sankey 3/4 ton. riggin it with a canvas & hoops puting in a bunk and table, sort of a minimalist camper. estimate it'll weigh about 1100 lbs. any one out there oull that much with an old series 88?
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Actually, yes. I have hauled several 1000 lb loads in my M416 1/4 ton trailer. Just give yourself a few (ok maybe 10) extra car lenghts to stop. If you keep the load to 500 lbs or less, the M416 does beautifully. For regular load hauling, I would suggest upgrading the brakes.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default just throwin' ideas at ya...

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    i'm thinking of get'n a sankey 3/4 ton. riggin it with a canvas & hoops puting in a bunk and table, sort of a minimalist camper. estimate it'll weigh about 1100 lbs. any one out there oull that much with an old series 88?
    dude-

So does the trailer use a pintle? Same wheel/bolt pattern as a Series? It would be convenient if the PD and the trailer shared spares. I like the idea of a small trailer combo camper. Consider a "galley" set-up for the outside of the trailer? Some type of quick awning over one side. Then a box or boxes that open to the outside with all the camp kitchen stuff stored inside. Like a truck with a utility bed. Bulk propane bottle(s) mounted on the tounge. Built in water tank/storage or just jerry cans? What about cold storage? Ice chests or one of those ARB or Enkel (sp?) mini fridges? What about batteries or a generator? 1100Ibs? I can get you up to that and spend your $ in a heartbeat. Or the total minimalist route, canvas cover with a cot inside nothing else. Would you drag it to Baja?

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

the 1100 i speak includes the 800 of the sankey it's self. i'm thinking a cot down one side and a table down the other, hooped canvas so that i could sit on the bunk and fiddle with crap if the weather was fowl. generator a must the table would be used as a work bench for all the parts will need to rebuild as we cruise the baja and a burner for the coffee. cooler, maybe but remember beer can be drunk warm
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)