Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance

I had Haggerty and I do believe they require the locked garage, no daily driver etc. So, I switched my '64 SIIA over to USAA for $20 a month and get to use it however I please. Got the multi-car discount, very pleased, as always with USAA.
    Alex Jones
    Atmore, Al
    '64 SIIA 88
    '79 MB 240D daily driver
    '80 MB 240D donor
    '59 MB 190D "rutso-ration in progress"
    '00 Chevy Silverado 4x4 "rescue vehicle"
    "Glad I ain't haze grey and underway!"

Default what about replacement value

this is my big concern now - how much will the insurance company pay if your truck is wrecked? i purchased my truck for under $10,000 and have 3 times that in receipts from the complete restoration.

anyone have any experience with a wrecked series truck and insurance companies? a cheap yearly rate doesn't mean squat if you don't get any money to get repair/replace it.

i going to have RN appraise it a.s.a.p.
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

I have regular AAA insurance and my Rover is currently registered as an antique in Maine. It is only insured for liability with no collision. I pay $181 per year for that coverage. If I wanted collision i would need to send pictures, have it appraised etc. before they will insure it. Once I get it to the point I want it I may go that route but time will tell.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chester rides again
    this is my big concern now - how much will the insurance company pay if your truck is wrecked? i purchased my truck for under $10,000 and have 3 times that in receipts from the complete restoration.

anyone have any experience with a wrecked series truck and insurance companies? a cheap yearly rate doesn't mean squat if you don't get any money to get repair/replace it.

i going to have RN appraise it a.s.a.p.
    No need for anything other than liability. The other guys car is going to lose. Unless you hit a tank.

Even if you smash a fender, you can order a new one for a few hundred and have it painted for as much.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

When I switched my rover over to USAA I asked them exactly that, if it is a total loss what will I get? They said save all your bills and have pictures and they willl compensate accordingly. Vague? Yes, but with USAA, I feel confident. Back when I was in the Navy my CO's Harley was stolen from his garage. He faxed the police report and they mailed him a check, just like that. My old man blew up the engine in his Wrangler crossin' a flooded creek to rescue my grandmother (she didn't want to leave her house) they mailed him a check for a brand new engine from the dealership. If you have the right insurer it should be fine.
    Alex Jones
    Atmore, Al
    '64 SIIA 88
    '79 MB 240D daily driver
    '80 MB 240D donor
    '59 MB 190D "rutso-ration in progress"
    '00 Chevy Silverado 4x4 "rescue vehicle"
    "Glad I ain't haze grey and underway!"

I just called up USAA and insured the 1967 Series IIA 109 NADA.

The first time I called, I said I wanted to insure a classic vehicle. USAA transfered me to an affiliate that underwrites the classic car insurance stating that USAA does not offer "classic" car insurance directly. Luckily, nobody answered the phone at the "classic" insurance company.

I called USAA a second time and simply stated I needed to add insurance for an older vehicle. No problem. Now, I have liability only for $10/month.

Not sure what the "classic" car insurance would have been, but I bet it would be more money with restrictions on use of the Series.

State Farm underwrites just about anything. 59 goes on policy in 2 weeks. No restrictions whatsoever. It is a normal policy for them.

Have your agent endorse the policy for declared value and provide your receipts. If it is ever totalled, that will be your payout.

Buy the appropriate amount of insurance if your going to drive it regularly.

EwS

Quote Originally Posted by chester rides again
    Hagerty won't allow you to use the vehicle as a daily driver -

My insurance company, AMICA, had me contact their antique car affiliate

I am now working on getting Rovers North to help me appraise the car for its replacement value and make sure I have suitable insurance coverage. $450 a year is well worth it.

Jeff
    I've been with Amica since the mid 1980's or so. Not the cheapest on the block (and they were less than thrilled when I flipped my MINI Cooper http://davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/Cabriol/HB2/HB2.html) but they are fair and they do not nickel and dime everything.

I think I am in the mid $5's annually, less a 20% dividend at the end of the year (they are a mutual stock company) I can drive it all I want as it is a 'regular' vehicle.

While I probably won't put more than 5-6k miles on the truck, for the extra few hundred bucks I would personally prefer the choice of going where and when I want. $89 is ok IF you have your truck as driveway eye candy, but I prefer to use mine a little more than that.

I'm sure your regular insurance company will list it, and probably give you per centages off because you are listing a second or third vehicle.