Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on my IIa's Heater...

Default Question on my IIa's Heater...

I've noticed recently that no other Rovers that I've seen have the second piece of dash running below their guages....I never realized it until recently. This is the heater and air blows from the left and right side of this piece....is it not factory or do I just have a different year? see below the speedometer...the horizontal blue section

I note that you have a single-motor wiper, so you have a later IIa, not an earlier one....

Earlier Series had the Smith's shin-roasters (the round squirrel cages), or later, the flat Smiths, right on the firewall in front of the shifter. Yours is later, part of the progression towards what would become the SIII.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Pretty good oil pressure
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Great photo of your dashboard! The original linked image you posted was so wide it punched a new hole through the side of our new forum - you busted it already... drats. LOL!! I figured out the coding change to keep it clean, scrolling and fitting properly . Keep it up guys, good threads.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by landi41
    Pretty good oil pressure

ha yeah that's a project for next summer. though the truck is running extremely well now, none of my guages work oil pressure goes sky high, temp doesn't register at all, and gas stays at "full"

Default It's the heater duct.

As stated above on late IIA's you have the SIII type heater that is situated in the front wing. The piece you show should havwe a rather quaint little door on the end that allows you to shut off whatever tepid air flow comes from the heater to your right kneecap.

The NADA IIa's a t least oriinally had a piece of soft vinyl trim to cover the duct but I can't find a new one to replace mine. If you check the previous posts you will see the part numbers provided by our hosts.

Cheers
    Gregor

I luv my Kodiak heater for the Canadian winter. minus 9 C yesterday and I had to keep turning it off.

Default heaters

thanks guys! Late IIa is classified as what? '67 up? My truck is such a mystery. I think it's mostly '67.....

How rare is the Kodiak? I have an opportunity to get one, though I can honestly say that the factory heater isn't so bad on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    thanks guys! Late IIa is classified as what? '67 up? My truck is such a mystery. I think it's mostly '67.....

How rare is the Kodiak? I have an opportunity to get one, though I can honestly say that the factory heater isn't so bad on mine...

'68 was the transition year, called a bugeye, because the headlights were moved from the radiator support panel (aka the breakfast) to the wings; they just kinda were mounted there, though. '69 is when the front of the wings became pressed like you see on SIII's... so, '69-'71 is a late IIa.

However, changes started creeping in earlier.... switch from pos to neg ground, from dual to single motor on the wipers, improvements on the heaters...

Kodiaks are kinda rare, and, usually aren't cheap. RN has a heater that would do as well (the Mansfield(?), but also isn't cheap). However, w/ the late IIa/III style of heater, you don't have the lack of heat that the earlier shin-roasters have.... I wouldn't change out, unless I was in Fairbanks....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default If you are really cold...

Most land rover heaters except the "shinburner" are fresh air units. If you are really cold you could modify the air intake to pull preheated air from your interior just like recirculate on later cars. I have seen this done on rovers in NW Canada, but I can't remember the actual setup except the air in was in the passenger footwell.

I have seen the heater distribution box pictured on a few rovers, I think rover even sold it as a kit because I have seen them on older S2 rovers or the owner retro-fitted them.

If you are looking for info on Kodiaks heaters try HERE.