Thread: Swivel Pin Lube

Default Swivel Pin Lube

Hi I'm fairly new to the Disco's I recently got a '97 NAS Disco and had a question on what to put into the swivel pin housings? I thought it would just be regular old 90 weight like in my series but all the plugs are different all I can find is one that's way up high on the housing and seems to be a little much oil. Then I looked on disco web and someone was talking about 1 shot. Not sure what it is other then some special lube.

I'm not sure how to tell what's in there now or even if there is anything in it because of the lack of plugs that I've been able to find. Also if you top it off with 85-90 oil and there was this 1 shot stuff in there will it mess things up? Or do they mix and end up happy?

Thanks for any pointers.

It is a special thin grease, not oil.

RN has it, and it is quite cheap. It is also pre-measured so you squirt a tube in each side and forget it for a while...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Quote Originally Posted by J!m
    It is a special thin grease, not oil.

RN has it, and it is quite cheap. It is also pre-measured so you squirt a tube in each side and forget it for a while...
    Right I got that part. But what if you're not replacing anything and you just want to top it off? in my Series even with new seals and balls I still had to top it off every couple of months just for good measure. Is this no longer the case with the Disco's? Is there no such thing as regular fill ups? I mean it's still a rover right? I have no reason to drain what's currently in there so I don't think I need a premeasured amount. I just want to make sure I don't need to add anything. I'm planing about a 1300 mile drive over Thanksgiving week so I just wanted to make sure this was not something that needed to be filled.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

FYI, here is the part. Yes, Land Rovers love grease of all kinds.

RNX039 Grease Pack - Swivel Balls Nicrotec, 375cc
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

I don't see why you cant use 90 wt......... My mechanic and i filled mine...
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

Whether using oil or grease, make sure your steering wheel is turned all the way in one direction or the other before attempting to add any oil/grease. Otherwise, the hole will be blocked and things will get pretty messy rather quickly.

When using the grease, I've found that it helps to submerge the "grease packs" in a very warm bucket of water for a few minutes immediately prior to installation.

-Mike
    Mike Koch

1993 Range Rover SWB
    "Backup car? Why would I need a backup car? My car backs up just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy
    Right I got that part. But what if you're not replacing anything and you just want to top it off?
    I use another tube for top-up, but it does not drain out as quickly as 90 weight does, so topping-up is much less frequent.

I would not add 90 weight to the grease, as the viscosity will drop and it will drain out faster, necessitating a disassembly to remove the soup you created, or, perhaps fresh correct grease with a dash of heavy synthetic axle grease to bring the viscosity back up may work...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

thank you Jim that's the information I was looking for. I Appreciate the time.